Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 16, 2007, 5:38 PM   #11
csd

dush wrote:
Quote:
I just looked at the canon 30d and it costs just a little more than the D80. I'll probably go have a look at it sometime soon. The only thing is that, considering I'm just starting out, does it really make sense spending that much on a more expensive DSLR like the D80 or the canon 30d or should I just buy myself an entry level nikon d40.
Perhaps the perspective form another ameture that just made the same trade off would help. I went with the D80 versus Canon because I personally felt better about the ergonomics and layout. I QUICKLY dismissed the D40 based upon a couple of factors - one being lack of a top display on the camera. These means you would be relying on using the LCD display all the time. As am ameteur I am experiencing with different settings/etc. and always enjoy seeing thoses setting changes (flash, wb, exposure, etc.) quickly and easily on the top mounted display.
the other factor was - D40 felt small in my hands - canon felt big - D80 felt just right
I read tons of reviews, compares tons of features, played with all cameras at the stores - in the end - this is what it came down to
csd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2007, 6:32 PM   #12

It's basically a push between the two. 30d has higher burst rate, d80 has better flash system.

As CSD said - ergonomics play a big part. Handle both cameras and use all the controls. Most people have a preference one way or the other.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2007, 11:10 PM   #13

csd wrote:
Quote:
... D40 felt small in my hands - canon felt big - D80 felt just right ...
... ok goldilocks.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2007, 8:02 AM   #14

I was in the same boat as you not long ago only I narrowed the field down to Pentax and Olympus.....

Reasons being price and the money saving in house image stabilization.....

In the end I got the Pentax K100d mostly because of the lens option and the clarity of the images for a 6 megapixel unit was bar none......

Most things about the camera were intuitive....and I didn't even read the manual before I had 90% of the controls figured out....

The camera was Canadian dollars...

k100D (withthe 18-55mm kit lens)- 569.oo and tax

Pentax 50-200 lens 199.oo and tax

Tamron 70-300 lens 229.oo and tax

Camera bag - 79.oo and tax

You can do the math but this was a fine deal and I'm capturing some fine images with my new camera as it has excited the heck out of me... : )

Did I mention that this camera feels so sturdy it's crazy....I think it has a steel chasis...

This photo taken with the pentax and thetamron 70-300 lens

Mike

Attached Images

Island Brook Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2007, 6:43 PM   #15

dush-

Another factor is post processing your images. The in-camera firmware on the Nikon D-40 does the best job of producing images that do NOT need a lot of post processing. The D-80, Canon 30D and other mainstream DSLR's will require some post processing. For that reason it makes more sense to select the D-40.

But then perhaps you are a Photoshop CS-3 wizard and that issue will not be a factor in your decision process. I am a D-40 owner as well as a digital camera instructor, so I am speaking from experience.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2007, 6:51 PM   #16

That is a very nice photo, Mike-

I straightened the photo and applied a bit of zoom. I hope you don't minmd.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Nov 21, 2007, 6:56 PM   #17

So you cropped and rotated.....:blah:

No....I don't mind:-)

Mike
Old Nov 21, 2007, 9:37 PM   #18

BrookTrout-

You are very correct. It is no big deal. However, my intent was to better show the detail that you managed to capture. But then, I guess that is no big deal as well.

Sarah Joyce
Old Nov 22, 2007, 2:00 AM   #19

Sarah said:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

... Another factor is post processing your images. The in-camera firmware on the Nikon D-40 does the best job of producing images that do NOT need a lot of post processing. The D-80, Canon 30D and other mainstream DSLR's will require some post processing. For that reason it makes more sense to select the D-40....

Sarah Joyce

>>>>>>>>>>

Hi Sarah

Sorry I'm jumping in what seems to be a closed thread but I was intrigued by your statement above.

I intend to buy D-80 very soon and have read a lot of articles, reviews, comments, etc, but this is the first time I have heard anything about the necessity of post processingimages from D-80. If supported by facts, this statement could potentially affect my decision. I would really appreciate if you could spend some time to explain why do you think it is necessary to post-process D-80 images.

Thanks a lot

Slobodan

smitrovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2007, 6:41 PM   #20

Like I said I really don't mind......Hope you didn't take it the wrong way.....it's just I see no difference....but I've not a trained eye either......