Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 16, 2007, 4:28 PM   #1

I waslooking into buy a Fuji Finepix S9100 THEN I saw a Finepic S9000. There is about a $200.00 price difference and they seem to be pretty much the same.:? What are the major differences between them that would make the price range that different? Anyone on here have one or the other and how do you like them? I would be using the camera for candid shots, shot's of my 5 year old child, sporting events, etc... It would be my main camera. I have a Fuji Finepix S5200 that i have had great results with and wanted to upgrade while staying in the Finepix S series.Thanks in advance!
Seastarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2007, 6:53 PM   #2

The S9000 was flawed - the command dials were failing/falling off (do a search in this forum to share the horrors). Fuji has been fixing them, but it is still a big inconvenience to have to send your camera off for weeks to get repaired, not to mention where you might be when it fails. The S9100 added a better processor, which improved low light performance and a larger, higher resolution sensor.

What do you hope the S9000/9100 will do for you that the S5200 isn't?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2007, 7:13 PM   #3

I was hoping the higher mp's would help me out because I do alot of cropping and enlargements for the Grandparents! Won't more mp's help with that? The S5200 has 5.1 mps and tends to get grainy when I crop or enlarge, if it's a big zoom shot.

WOW! That sucks about the command dials! Guess I'll have to save a bit more money and go with the S9100.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 8:13 PM   #4

Have you considered the S6000? It has the identical lens to the S9100, manual zoom and focus rings, etc. However, it has a better processor, and handles low light better. Compared to the S5200, the S6000 has another MP, and a larger sensor, so the noise should be a little better in those crops and enlargements. I guess it depends on how big you are trying to make the picture. All P&S cams will get grainy as you crop and enlarge, especially at max zoom and in low light situations. A solution , of course, would involve $$$ (big bucks).

Another option might be the new S8000.

Good luck with your choice.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2007, 10:15 PM   #5

Thank you so very much!! You have been a big help and I will look into the 6000 and the 8000!! Thanks again!!!