Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 29, 2007, 11:03 PM   #11

Thank you for your advice. I did go ahead and get an XTi.

I am in luck and do have some more money for lenses for xmas....

I am totaly in the dark about the lenses.

1) Where can I find that 50mm prime lens you were talking about for $70?

2) What is the difference between macro, telephoto, wide angle, etc. You don't have to explain this to me if there is a link out there. I'm lost where to look.

3) Recommend any places online to go lens shopping?

Thanks!
five40kix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2007, 7:29 AM   #12

www.bhphotovideo.com (B&H) is a great place to get gear on line. Very reputable. I've also had luck at buydig.com

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2007, 2:44 PM   #13

Five40kix, I found that 50mm on Amazon. I have not purchased it yet, however. At my local shop, it was $99. Amazon had it for less than $72.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-50mm-1-8...579&sr=8-1

As John pointed out, B&H is great. They have used stuff too.

As I understand it and in layman's terms:

Macro: Lens that magnifies small images with a very small Depth of Field (also good for interesting portrait shots with good bokeh or blurred background)

Wide Angle: Lens that has a wide field of view for landscape photos; has a huge (infinite?) Depth of Field for sharp foreground and background objects

Telephoto: Another name for Zoom. Your typical lens like the one that comes with the XTi with a range of focal points. For example, 18-55mm or 70-300mm

Prime: Lens that has NO zoom, rather is a fixed focal point. For example the 50mm you are looking at.

There are other terms you will discover as well that are confusing at first. Each manufacturer uses different terminology, but they mean about the same thing. For example, IS on a Nikon is Image Stabilizer, while on a Quantaray, the OS is Optical Stabilizer. They are the same thing.

Another is USM and HSM. One is Ultrasonic Motor and the other Hyper Sonic Motor. They also are the same thing.

I have learned so much in the last few weeks just by reading threads on the internet.

By the way, I was going to get BOTh the 50mm and the 85mm fast lenses. The guy at the camera shop told me I did not need both, as they both do about the same thing. One just gets you closer to the action. The difference is in the price. It is a big difference.

Good luck, 540 and I hope this helped!

Del
DelJohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2007, 4:37 PM   #14

DelJohnston wrote:
Quote:
By the way, I was going to get BOTh the 50mm and the 85mm fast lenses. The guy at the camera shop told me I did not need both, as they both do about the same thing. One just gets you closer to the action. The difference is in the price. It is a big difference.

Good luck, 540 and I hope this helped!

Del
A point of clarification here. Price is NOT the only difference. The 85 is a sharper lens and it focuses much faster (it has USM the 50 does not). So, focal length aside, there is a reason the 85 is more expensive. But, focal length IS indeed an important thing in sports shooting. Sports shooting isn't like other aspects where you can "zoom with your feet" to get closer or move further away from the action. For instance a 50mm lens is only going to get you about 15 feet of coverage on a basketball court. If you want shots further out on the court - it's not like you can walk out on to the court to get them. Conversely there is often a wall behind the baseline. So for action close to you it often isn't possible to back up any further.

So, the 50mm and 85mm are by no means interchangeable. The 85 is a far better lens for sports - IF it's the right focal length. Sometimes you need longer and sometimes shorter.

The problem with "the guy at the camera store" is it is unlikely he shoots sports. I don't know if you were speaking to him in terms of a lens for sports use or not. But I'll assume so since this thread is about sports shooting. So, I would say you didn't necessarily get good advice - ESPECIALLY if you came away with the impression that for sports shooting you might as well just get the 50 and save money.

Old Dec 5, 2007, 11:47 AM   #15

Thanks again, JohnG! Valuable advice as always. I apologize, five40kix, for hijacking your thread! I hope you find the info as useful as I do.

You are right about the salesman at the camera store. Perhaps I did not ask the right questions. Also, I did not realize the 50mm was not USM. That certainly helps to explain the low price.

Actually, what I was meaning to say is that I would probably save up and get the 85mm instead of getting both the 50mm and the 85mm. I don't think I could afford much more than that. I bet the 50mm would be good to get those indoor Xmas morning shots later this month. =)

Somehow I missed the 100mm in your list earlier. It is not much more than the 85mm. You said the 85mm was a great lens. Would you recommend the 85mm over the 100mm? I would assume so, since the 85mm is f/1.8 and the 100mm is f/2.

I hate to throw another monkey in the barrell, but what are your thoughts on teleconverters? Is the loss in quality that bad, especially with low light photos which already have enough problems? My thinking was that I could get the 50mm f/1.8 and the 2x conveter for $200.

Hopefully these will be my last questions until I make a decision between the two (or three).

My wallet is crying.

DelJohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2007, 12:12 PM   #16

On TCs:

Be careful, canon TCs are only designed to fit certain canon lenses - because of the element design they won't physically fit on certain lenses (some third party lenses will).

To be honest, I've never used a TC on my 50mm or 85mm. I have a 70-200 2.8. So If I wanted a 2.8 lens with more reach I just use that. But, unless you like shooting at ISO 3200, not to many below-college venues are bright enough for using 2.8 (adding a 1.4x tc costs you one stop and a 2x costs you 2 stops - so a 2.0 lens becomes 2.8 with a 1.4 and 5.6 with a 2x TC).

So - first, I don't even know if a tc would fit on the 50. Second it would turn the lens into a 5.0 lens which is not bright enough for low light work.

As to the 100mm vs 85mm - I don't own the 100mm. For me, it would be too tight a fit. I shoot volleyball, basketball from the floor - on a crop camera 100mm would be too tight. From the stands, however, the added reach would be a definite plus. The lenses are (from what i've read) very comparable in terms of IQ and focus speed. The extra 1/3 stop of the 1.8 isn't a HUGE issue. The bigger issue is - what is the right focal length for what you want to shoot and where you're shooting from.