Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 18, 2007, 1:00 AM   #1

Ok, so I am new here so hello! I am a recently graduated college student looking to go back soon but still don't know what to do with my life so I recently decided i should invest in a DSLR. In saying that I was looking between Cannon and Nikon now i know that doesn't narrow the decision down much but mainly i need something durable preferably with a metal frame which from what I have been reading magnesium alloy is what is being used and also preferably weather sealed. I am usually in the mountains or of somewhere where a camera doesn't like to be. and though I try and be careful ... more times than not i'm not.. but basically i take mostly landscape, macro, and low light. but also throw in some action for critters and friends running around.... So for now i will leave you with that and try to narrow my search and/or give you more information as it presents its self... but my brain is fried atm and i can't think of anything else to say...

Cheers
Skytoproberts

oh yeah I have been using SLR's on and off for the past 5 years but mainly just point and shoot lately so i'm a bit rusty. >.<
Skytoproberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2007, 1:26 PM   #2

So far, I understand thatyour ideal camera would be weatherproof, and have a goodlarge aperture wide-angle zoom, and a medium telephoto macro zoom.

The list of weatherproof dSLRs is short. The ones I could find are the Canon 40D and EOS-1Ds, Nikon D-200, Olympus E-3,and Pentax K10D,though it would not surprise me ifthere were others.

As for a goodlarge aperture wide-angle zoom, the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 is available for Canon, Nikon and Sony, and the Sigma 18-50 is available for Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax, Sigma & Sony. Canon and Nikon have lenses in this category as well, but they are pricey.

There are inumerable lenses that qualify as medium telephoto macro zooms, so you shouldn't have any trouble finding one.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 3:12 PM   #3

Thanks TCav

Unfortunately I noticed that weatherproof cameras not that common. I do a good amount of hiking and possibly hiking the Pacific Crest Trail. which will take me trough the Mojave Desert and the High Sierras

the Cannon D1s is way out of my price range as with Olympus E-3 which is a little hard to swallow as well.

So i suppose my choises are Canon 40D, Nikon D-200. which i was looking at and now the Pentax K10D

With the image stabilization or anti shake is there a advantage or disadvantage between being built into the lens vs built into the camera?

Old Nov 18, 2007, 6:29 PM   #4

The main advantage of having the image stabilization built into the camera is that every lens you buy will be stabilized, while you would have to pay for it all over again for every stabilized lens you buy (and VR lenses are normally more expensive). This might or might not be important to you - depends on how steady you are (I'm not so steady any more so it's very important to me).

At the moment Pentax offers two weather sealed lenses to go with the K10 - the DA*16-50 f2.8and the DA*50-135 f2.8. There's supposed to be a DA*300 released (maybe soon? No release date set in stone as far as I know). I happen to have the K10 and took it out hiking last winter while it was snowing. I was using an older lens (not sealed) and sort-of kept the area where the lens meets the camera under my jacket when I wasn't shooting,while the back of the camera with the LCD was exposed to the snow most of the time. The camera is still working without problems.

The problem with your three choices is that they are all fairly heavy. As far as the cameras themselves, it looks like the K10 is slightly lighter than the 40D, while the D200 is the heaviest of the three. The two weather sealed lenses that Pentax offersare fast zooms and are also fairly heavy and expensive. I have no trouble day-hiking in the mountains with the K10 and the DA*50-135, but doubt I'd want tobackpack with it (but then, that's not the only lens I would want to take, and I'm a small female so you might not have as many limitations as I have).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 7:34 PM   #5

hmm... you bring up good points... ugh um so now im stumped lol
Old Nov 18, 2007, 9:22 PM   #6

Ok, let me guess. You thought this would be easy, right? :-)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 9:24 PM   #7

lol na I knew i was asking for a headache.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 11:58 PM   #8

Skytoproberts wrote:
Quote:
...I knew i was asking for a headache.
Well, you could avoid the backpacking backache for the price of one of the lenses for your dSLR if youbought a light 'hybrid' superzoom like my Kodak Z712is (Z812is is the current model), or one of its competitors. This would give you surprisingly good results. The art comes largely from the photographer, not the equipment.

I mean as well as the dSLR, not instead of it, if that's what you're keen on.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2007, 11:38 PM   #9

ugh now i am considering all 4 again Canon 40D Nikon D-200, Olympus E-3 Pentax K10D

I was reading a bit and it seem that for night low light that the pentax does produce more noise than most would like... is that true...

has anyone had much experiecne with the E-3 considering it seems to have just come out....

can't think of any comments about Nikon or Canon yet...

Cheers
Old Nov 20, 2007, 1:52 PM   #10

As far as night shots, it depends on what you are trying to capture and what ISO (speed) you are using. This thread shows a couple of pictures I took (handheld)with the K10 and the (weather sealed) DA*50-135 at ISO 800, and discuss what post processing I did. You can judge for yourself whether you think this would be all right for you: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=80. By the way, it's about the first time I had tried night photography - I'm not able to try my hand at it much.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote