Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 24, 2007, 9:26 AM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Since the 100-300 f4 lense, wouldn't really improve on what I could do a couple of years ago, I think I will go with the f2.8 lense for the Canon that you've been talking about.
I missed that because the text color was changed and I couldn't see it. I keep my "Board Theme" set to "Default", and that text is unreadable on the background color used. So, be careful changing from default text colors (they may not be visible by all members, depending on what color scheme they're using).

Change your "Board Theme" from Shades (which more closely matches the main site at http://www.steves-digicams.com) to Default and you'll see what I mean. Here's a direct link to change it (it's under My Account, Preferences):

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo..._preferences=1

It's a quirk with the software since we use a custom theme to match the main site by default (versus the normal "Default" board theme that I currently use). ;-)

This is the way you posted it:

"Since the 100-300 f4 lense,wouldn't reallyimprove on what I could do a couple of years ago, I think I will go with the f2.8 lense for the Canon that you've been talking about.

"
Yes, the Sigma 100-300mm f/4 that JohnG mentioned would improve your photos and you can use a 1.4x TC (Teleconverter) with it to get more reach. It's a very high quality lens for daytime sports.

It's $1099 at http://www.bhphotovideo.com

If you want the best quality for your outdoor Soccer, that sounds like the lens of choice to do it. I've seen a lot of very nice reports about this lens, including some from KM and Sony DSLR owners. It's available in Canon, Pentax, Nikon and Konica Minolta/Sony Autofocus lens mounts right now.

But, it's not really bright enough for night games under the lights. That's where you'd want f/2.8 with higher ISO speeds.

There are multiple ways to approach this kind of thing. You could skip night games for now and get a lens with the highest quality for daytime use like that Sigma 100-300mm f/4. That's a full stop brighter than most of the 100-300mm lenses around (which is why you can use a 1.4x TC with it) and it's got very high quality optics. Then, buy an f/2.8 zoom for night sports later when budget permits.

Or, you can compromise on the day games and get a lens that could be used for both day and night games now versus later (like the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX HSM lens we've been discussing). But, you could go to longer focal lengths with higher quality using a TC with the Sigma 100-300mm f/4. Any choice is going to be a compromise in one area or another.

You can't have everything you want in a $2K budget if you want the highest quality, with a higher percentage of "keepers" in more conditions. ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2007, 5:44 PM   #22

Could anyone tell me why the prices for the Canoon 30D are $800 higher than for the 20D? (at keh)

Thanks for the tip on the color of type - I copied and pasted something, and didn't realize it changed.

Discouraged.

Keh.com has:

Canon Auto Focus

70-200 F2.8 L ULTRASONIC (77) WITH CAPS 35MM SLR AUTO FOCUS ZOOM TELEPHOTO LENS

[size=][/size]

[align=right]

Grade
Now
Was

Dell has these, but I can't tell what f/stop they are, or verify that they would mount

[align=right]

[align=center]Grade[/align]

[align=center]Now[/align]

[align=center]Was[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]BGN [/align]

[align=right]$889.00[/align]

[align=right][/align]

[align=right][/align][/align]
[align=right][/align]
[align=right]

[align=right][/align][/align]
[align=right][/align]

Canon

Canon zoom lens - 28 mm - 200 mm

Usually Ships 1-2 Weeks
Manufacturer Part# 6470A006
Dell Part# A0158637
[align=right]

$432 style="COLOR: #dd6600; size: 12px"[/align]
Canon
Canon EF telephoto zoom lens - 70 mm - 300 mm

Usually Ships Within 24 Hours
Manufacturer Part# 9321A002
Dell Part# A0405636

Canon
Canon EF zoom lens - 70 mm - 300 mm

Usually Ships Within 24 Hours
Manufacturer Part# 0345B002
Dell Part# A0944504

[align=left]Starting Price

$699.99

Instant Savings

$70.00

[align=left]Subtotal

$629.99

[/align][/align]
aj37167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2007, 6:05 PM   #23

After a little more study, 2 of the 30D kits have lenses with IS, so that explains those.

The other one lists:

30D 8.2 M/P WITH 18-55 F3.5-5.6 II WITH CABLES, CD, BATTERY & CHARGER, INSTRUCTION BOOK (REQUIRES CF CARD ), DIGITAL SLR INTERCHANGEABLE LENS CAMERA OUTFIT

So, the Roman II, must stand for something I'm not familiar with that makes it more valuable.

Anybody?

aj37167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2007, 8:56 AM   #24
Administrator

Sorry, I really can't tell what you were trying to ask us about the lenses in the post that you tried to copy and paste listing text into. I'd either ask about the lens models and/or post a link to them versus trying to copy and paste from the web pages.

As for the 18-55mm kit lens, I really don't think there is much difference between the original and the II version you're looking at.

Steve has a set of images comparing them in the Rebel XT review samples here. See the last set of sample images on this page for a side by side comparison of the orginal 18-55mm EF-S Lens and the newer II version of it:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_...t_samples.html

Canon also makes an IS version of this lens now.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote