Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 18, 2007, 11:42 AM   #1

My wife uses an Optio M20 that I bought for her earlier this year. However, she is finding the absence of an optical viewfinder just about impossible to live with. The two main problems are that these days she needs reading glasses, and that means she cannot focus too well on the screen - and doesn't loke carrying reading glasses on, for example, the beach. She also uses the camera outdoors, and if is is a bright day, finds that the screen quickly becomes unreadable. So, we need to replace the M20, but what with? Do other people have this problem?

We have looked at a Canon Ixus and a Sony camera, both being of similar size to the Optio, but are there other cameras that match our requirements that anyone can suggest?

My own camera is an S3IS and I rarely use its screen for shooting, much prefering the eyepiece - together with its built in dioptre adjustment.
denis16a is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2007, 2:15 PM   #2

"are there other cameras that match our requirements..."

Not sure what your requirements are, other than ultra compact and an optical viewfinder (?)

If your wife likes the Pentax, the M40 has an optical viewfinder. Some of the smaller Canon's, such as the SD 850 also have an optical finder. Not to be confused with the electric viewfinder your S3 has...two separate things. I don't know of any ultracompact cams that have an electric viewfinder.

Maybe you could clarify your requirements a little.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 2:24 PM   #3

To confirm, she would like a camera that has a screen, but more importantly, it must have an optical viewfinder. So far as we can tell, that should cover the sunlight problem on the screen and also the reading glasses issue. Beyond that, she would like one that is as compact as the Pentax M20 as it can ride very easily in her handbag!

Thank you for your pointers, I shall look at those cameras and try and see them locally.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 2:29 PM   #4

Just checked the Pentax M40 on Steve's listings - it doesn't appear to have an optical viewfinder???

Old Nov 18, 2007, 2:51 PM   #5

Sorry about that - you are correct. I was on another review site, which said the M40 had an optical viewfinder. According to the Pentax site, it does not.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote