Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 18, 2007, 6:53 PM   #1

I have just sold my trusted h5, and am looking for a new replacement.

I have had an H1, H2 and H5 and have been very happy with ther formats, i feel like a change and in some respects would like a smaller more pockeable camera like the h3, does any one know wether this camera would compete with the h5??

i shoot mainly indoor and outdoor mainly family and of my children so i fancy having some sort of face detction technology ie the H3, but, i fancy a change aswell having a switch to the S5 IS or fuji's new s8000 fd, i should also consider the h9 but some shaky reviews are worrying me a tad.

as you can see all the cameras have a good zoom and image stabilization as some of my shots are from a stand taking pics of drag car racing where the cars are launching from the start line and they leave the line pretty quick !

I am no expert photographer and most of the shots are in auto mode.

can anyone point me in the right direction with their knowledge.

many thanks

lee w
lee w is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2007, 3:35 PM   #2

Lee-

I don't own the H-3. However, I would imagine from over 50 years of experience in photography, that the H-3 where you have only the LCD to frame the photo with, would not be a very good fast action camera.

I do own the H-9 and I personally have not been very satisfied with it. I much prefer my H-2 and H-5.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2007, 4:21 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply Sarah, i do value your knowledge and help.

If i disregard the H3 and take your advice on your experience you have had with your H9would you have any adviceon possibly what you would purchase in the compact type super zoom range? it does not have to be a Sony !!

A little disappointedwith the mostly poor reviews on the H9 though, that probably would of been my next purchase after my H5.

Much appreciated

Lee
lee w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2007, 9:34 AM   #4

Lee-

While your photos will not be the quality of a consumer level DSLR, the Panasonic FZ-18, which I own, does do a very creditable job. Here is a sample.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote