Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 20, 2007, 6:32 PM   #1

I have looked though all of Steve's Best Cameras & haven't found anything that fits the bill yet.

I am looking to buy a camera for my Mom (and Dad) this Christmas to replace their older Canon powershot, the one with the flip out screen. It is a bit bulky & getting really really slow even with brands new AAs in it. Not the best for keeping up with my 3 yr old son! My wishlist for her:
- pretty compact
- about a 6 MP or so
- needs a viewfinder (she prefers one, this is the hard part!)
- rechargable battery (she now thinks the double AAs were the issue)
- IS
- not a Sony (so no need to buy new memory cards)
- budget of $300 or so, negotiable
- face recognition a plus but not needed really

Does this exsist? Maybe an older ELPH? Something some kinda close?
Thanks so much in advance,
Michelle
rupptopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2007, 7:18 PM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
... the one with the flip out screen.
Canon has made a wide variety of cameras with a flip out LCD. ;-) For example, the G2, G3, G5, G6, A80, S1 IS, S2 IS, S3 IS,etc., in a variety of different market niches (different classes of cameras).

Newer models also tend to have faster Autofocus compared to older ones. But, some of the older models had very bright lenses that made them more useful in other conditions.

Knowing the model she has now would give members a better idea of what she's accustomed to, how fast or slow it is, and how much of an improvement she may or may not see with any given newer camera model.

What area do you find the speed to be a problem in most? Does she use a flash for most indoor photos and is flash recycle time the issue or are you seeing a problem in other areas, too? Does the camera she has now have a hotshoe and is she using an external flash or just the camera's built in flash?

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2007, 8:01 PM   #3

The Canon SD850 has gotten very good reviews. It has a viewfinder, lithium battery and is small but not tiny.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_...non_sd850.html
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2007, 1:13 AM   #4

"... the one with the flip out screen"

I know, very lame description! But I can't figure out how to ask her what camera she has w/o tipping her off about my Christmas surprise.

From the pictures on this site, I think she probably has an A95 or similar. It is just slow - and not only with the flash, all the time. Way slower than when it was new, clearly something with the camera, not just b/c it is old. My very old S200 is faster and it has beat up and around the world. . .

by the way, A guy at a camera store told me recently that "slowness happens to all digital cameras that use double As after a few years" huh?! please tell me he is full of it

The SD850 looks like a very good choice! Thanks! How did I miss that, I guess I looked at the 870 & it didn't have a viewfinder. Should have kept looking at the options.

Thanks for your reply!
rupptopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2007, 8:08 AM   #5
Administrator

If the batteries get weaker it might take longer. NiMH Batteries don't last forever and may lose some capacity over time. ;-)

Steve goes into camera performance in each model's review conclusion section.

For example, this is what it says about the A95 cycle times beteeen photos:

Quote:
Shot-to-shot delay averaged 1.6 seconds without using the flash and 3.4 seconds with the flash.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...s/a95_pg7.html

This is what the review says about the SD850:

Quote:
In single frame drive mode, the shot to shot delay averaged 1.3 seconds without flash, and between 2.5 and 3.5 seconds with flash depending on subject distance.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_...sd850_pg5.html

Make sure to compare areas like Autofocus time and burst modes if you are considering those areas and how they impact overall responsiveness, too (just read the reveiw conclusion section for any model you consider).

Flash recycle time is going to be similar with models that have roughly the same flash range and battery capacity.

Distance to subjectwill cause flash recycle time to vary because the closer you are to a subject, the shorter the flash burst can be for proper exposure (so, the recycle time is faster since the capacitor isn't fully discharged). Some models also have more powerful flash compared to others.

ISO speed also impacts it (because a shorter flash burst can be used at higher ISO speeds). Lens brightness also impacts it, and with the majority of camera models, lenses lose light as you zoom in more (so a longer flash burst is needed to illuminate a subject if you are zooming in much).

Battery type also influences it. As a general rule, models using smaller batteries (or 2 AA batteries versus 4 AA batteries) are going to take longer to recycle when everything else is equal between models (and it rarely is).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote