Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 21, 2007, 3:36 PM   #1

I just bought E-410, 14-42mm Zuiko lens kit a few days back. I have been reading and comparing DSLRs for about three weeks. This is my first DSLR - switched from P&S (I did use SLR for a few months a few years ago). Mostly will take photos from holiday, close ups, black and white. I'm thinking of buying a telephoto as well.

The thing is; I paid $499.00 (canadian) + tax for my E-410. It was on special last week. Then for E-510 was at $650.00 + tax. Also with Zuiko 14-42mm kit. The store has 15 days return policy. I do like my E-410, but in the long run, with the telephoto lens, etc; should I go and exchange it for E-510 just because its IS? The thing is, 410 was on sales ($80 less from actual) while 510's not.

Thanks in advance
gamog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2007, 4:09 PM   #2

It seems that the only significant difference between the E-410 and the E-510 is that the E-410 uses digital image stabilization while the E-510 uses sensor shift image stabilization. ... and, of course, $151.

The only way for you to know the value of sensor shift IS versus digital IS with respect to the types of photography you do is to try it. The concensus is that sensor shift IS is more precise and results in better image quality than digital IS, but that IS, any IS, is useful mostly while using long lenses handheld. Since you don't already have a telephoto, and since the types of photography you said you'd do ("photos from holiday, close ups, black and white") won't generally require a telephoto, I'd say you should keep the E-410 and the $151. The other situation where SSIS (vs. DIS) would be useful is for available light indoor/low-light subjects, but since you've only used the kit 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6, you don't have much exerience there either.

I can only suggest that you look at the photos you've taken with the E-410 VERY CRITICALLY, to see if there have been instances where you might have benifited from a better IS technology.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2007, 4:21 PM   #3

What would you think if the choice was a E-500 two lens kit at $500 vs. an E-510 two lens kit at whatever the market rate happens to be? I can actually by the E-500 at that price at the local Sams.

I current have a Kodak Z612 with IS. I frequently use the 2 stop slower shutter speed afforded by the IS. The E-500 has at least a 2 stop higher ISO capability but it's kit lenses are on the average a stop slower than the Z612.

Ultimately the 410, 500, 510 are way more versatile than any P&S over the long run but require additional investment (faster lenses) to realize that advantage. The advantage of the 510 is two stops slower shutter speed than otherwise possible when shooting stationary subjects. Did you need that frequently enough when using the 410 to justify the price differential?
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2007, 5:35 PM   #4

I am a digital camera instructor and among other cameras I own the E-1, E-300, E-500, and the E-410. The difference between the E-410 and the E-510 is the stabilization system, as TCav has noted. The lenses are the same.

I feel that the E-410 is a fine camera and it works very well indeed for me. I had my choice of either the E-410 or the E-510 and selected the E-410. Here is a photo sample from the E-410.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2007, 7:40 PM   #5

Yeah, another $151.00, plus two taxes! I could buy a good lens with that.

I intent to frame those photos and hang them on the wall. I guess, the E-410 will do the job then? I don't have any expeience in digital photography, only in photoshop. I heard that 410 is one the best DSLR out there for the beginners. The live view is one of the reasons I like about 410. Plus the fact that it's a 10MP, plus it's the cheapest 10MP out there - ?!!

gamog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2007, 8:33 PM   #6

gamog-

You have made the correct choice. Now enjoy your E-410. It is a really great camera.

Sarah Joyce

Old Nov 24, 2007, 1:24 PM   #7

I've also been looking at these 2 cameras (among others) and it seems to me a crucial differnce is the design. The e-510 has a battery grip which the E-410 doesn't.

So part of the decision has to come down to ergnomics as well as technology.
cph.shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2007, 3:58 PM   #8

CPH-

That is correct. There is no battery grip for the E-410. The E-510 also has more direct access to WB, ISO, AF, and AE via the four way controller buttons without having to resort to the in camera menu as you do on the E-410. The E-510 also has a larger and longer lasting battery. However, the E410 is somewhat smaller and the E-410 has digital stabilization, while the E-510 has a dual system of stabilization, including stabilization around the imager.

So, yes, there is a choice involved to decide between the E-410 and the E-510.

Sarah Joyce