Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 22, 2007, 1:20 PM   #1

Now I am debating between the XT vs the XTi

Nikon is out of the question since most of my photos are low light action photography. Is the XTi $100-$200 much better than the XT when it come to this?

I know I need a good fast lens, but right now it's just not in the budget. I'm a martial artist and it would be nice to have something better to capture action shots than my point and shoot.

Also...I know the XTi has some sort of dust reduction technology on the sensor. How good is it? if I opt for the XT model, what can a person do to remove dust from the sensor vs. getting it repaired?

Thanks and happy Thanksigiving
five40kix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2007, 2:33 PM   #2

five40kix wrote:
Quote:
Now I am debating between the XT vs the XTi

Nikon is out of the question since most of my photos are low light action photography. Is the XTi $100-$200 much better than the XT when it come to this?

I know I need a good fast lens, but right now it's just not in the budget. I'm a martial artist and it would be nice to have something better to capture action shots than my point and shoot.

Also...I know the XTi has some sort of dust reduction technology on the sensor. How good is it? if I opt for the XT model, what can a person do to remove dust from the sensor vs. getting it repaired?

Thanks and happy Thanksigiving
JohnG has said in your other topic that the XTi is better suited to what you want to do than the XT. Dust Reduction is just one distiction between the two. And if you are careful about the environment in which you change lenses, dust doesn't have to be an issue. I've been changing lenses on myKonica-Minolta Maxxum5D for almost 2 years now, and have yet to clean my image sensor.

I'd say that it's better to have dust reduction than to not have it, but I wouldn't put it near the top of the list of features I would use to select a camera.

five40kix wrote:
Quote:
... I know I need a good fast lens, but right now it's just not in the budget. ...
Actually, the differencein cost between either Canon body and that same body with the 18-55mm kit lens is about $80. Canon's 50mm f/1.8 is going for $75. Going with a body only and getting the 50mm lens actually saves you $5.

And considering what you want to do, I'd say that the kit lens will mostly go unused.

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2007, 3:00 PM   #3

I own both the Canon XT and the XTi. The biggest thing about the XTi is its much better focusing module and better low light capabilities. As TCav has noted, imager cleaning is not that big an issue.

Based on my own experience, and your camera needs, the XTi seems to be the better choice.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2007, 3:04 PM   #4

This camera will also server as a replacement to the canon point and shoot that I have as well. So while taking action shots is one purpose in mind, it's not the sole purpose.

My main challenge is that no one has explained to me the value for the additional $200 for an XTi versus an XT. What is on the XTi (in regards to better low light shooting) vs. the XT that makes it better.

I also understand about getting the 50mm lens, but isn't it a fixed lens? Does that mean I can't zoom in or out like the kit lens?

Newbie confusion...sorry
five40kix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2007, 3:26 PM   #5

Five40-

The Canon 50mm lens is a prime or non-zoom lens. The advantage for me was the much more accurate focusing of the XTi over the XT. The XT has 8.0mp and the XTi has 10mp. In my opinion it was worth the extra $$.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2007, 8:02 AM   #6

five40kix wrote:
Quote:
My main challenge is that no one has explained to me the value for the additional $200 for an XTi versus an XT. What is on the XTi (in regards to better low light shooting) vs. the XT that makes it better.
The XTi has a more advanced focus system than the XT. It has the same focus system as the 20d/30d wheras the XT has an older generation focus system. The XTi will therefor focus faster and more accurately in low light. Focus speed and accuracy is EVERYTHING for sports shooting. For other uses, the difference won't likely be noticed. But for low light sports shooting you would see a good increase in the number of in-focus shots between the two cameras.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"And yes, the 50mm is non-zoomable. But martial arts are often in poor lighting conditions (for photography it's poor light). Because of the poor light you need wide aperture lenses (to let more light into the camera/imaging sensor). If you had really GOOD lighting you could use a 2.8 zoom lens. The canon 24-70 2.8 is about $900 as is the 17-55 2.8 EF-S - both of which would be good lenses IF YOU HAD ENOUGH LIGHT. Chances are VERY, VERY slim you'll have enough light for ISO 1600 and 2.8. So, that means you need a lens with a wider aperture. There are no zoom lenses for Canon that have a wider aperture than 2.8. That means you need prime lenses.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The good news is - the 50mm 1.8 is only $70. The bad news - it's a prime so you have to do more work. YOU have to position yourself. YOU have to be patient until the action is within your shooting range. There are no magic solutions for low light sports photogrpahy. It's tough work. And it will take a lot of practice on your part to become proficient - not so different than martial arts really.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote