Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 23, 2007, 1:33 PM   #1

Just been reading the reviews for these 2 cameras and was wondering what users thought / preferred.

I have been looking at entry level DSLR's but have also started thinking about something (maybe) smaller, simpler and cheaper.

I have an nikon F65 which I've only really ever used in Auto mode so maybe I don't really need a dslr?

I like the idea of the powerful zoom on the S5 I'm just wondering what the difference is too make the G9 almost $100 more expensive.

I'd welcome any comments or other recomendations, thanks, Andrew
cph.shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2007, 5:35 PM   #2

CPH-

The Canon G-9 has more mp, that is what makes it more expensive. However, when you start talking about the G-9 you are right up to the price of an Olympus E-410, equipped with a Zuiko 14-42mm (3X optical zoom). The E-410 would give you a better growth path, than the Canon G-9, if you wanted to take your photographic skills to a higher levels.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2007, 5:24 PM   #3

Thanks for the input Sarah.

Any idea how the s5 is with the larger zoom but fewer pixels?

If I went for the 410 or 510 I'd probably go for a 2 lens kit, I was wondering how the s5 would compare to that, or some thing similar?

It would seem that the s5 is also pretty good at digvid as well. I think that is more importent to me than the extra mp's. I don't intend enlarging to more than A4 size and that rarely.

The question is how much quality would I lose because of the larger zoom?
cph.shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2007, 7:15 PM   #4

CPH-

Either the Olympus E-410 or the E-510 would easily surpass anything, in terms of photo qualitity and long term flexibility, that either the Canon G-9 or S-5 could produce on their very best days. How do I know, you might ask? Firstly, I own all of the digital cameras mentioned, and I am a Professional Digital Camera Instructor.

Add to that, the fact that the Olympus E-410 two lens kit (get the newer and smaller 40-150mm F 4.0 lens, please) comes reasonably close to the price of the Canon G-9 and you will simply have a much better camera that will last you for/through many more years of frequent use than the Canon G-9 or the S-5.

The original camera sales assistant that you spoke to was really correct. A camera such as the Olympus E-410 or the even better E-510 will simply give you much better images. And after all, you are recording your family memories. I sincerely believe that is very important.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote