Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 25, 2007, 10:51 PM   #1

Hello,

here is the obligatory question - whichcamera to buy for upcoming trip to Europe?

I own Rebel and various assortment of lenses, but I would like a second, small P&S camera for walkaround snapping. This will be a camera to carry with me all the time, so size is important. I almost ordered SD800, 28mm, that's nice to have, but I like 10x zoom on TZ3 and SX100IS as well.

Mostly, I'll spendtime in Vienna, Prague, and Budapest, so lots of nice architecture there .

I went to dpreview and looked at some pictures, read reviews, still cannot decide. Any advice?
PetersP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2007, 10:55 PM   #2

Peter-

Stick with the SD 800IS, it has an optical viewfinder, the other cameras you have listed do not. I personally perfer an optical viewfinder.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2007, 11:06 PM   #3

Peter,

I've been to the cities you mentioned and there's great architecture, as you mentioned, plus lots of other sights that beg for a wide angle lens.

On most of my trips, I packed both a Panasonic FZ7 (12x zoom and lightweight) and an SD700. Never had any use for the zoom. Wound up stitching together shots from the SD700 to get the wide angle I needed.

Just bought an SD800 from Amazon.com ($240 and free shipping), the same low price as Beach Camera. This will be for a mountain climb expedition to Aconcagua in January, so compactness and low weight will be essential as it's necessary to carry the camera under the parka close to the body to avoid freezing it at 23,000 ft.

Dave
davec13o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 11:59 AM   #4

Thanks for your opinions, Sara and Dave.

Dave,you own Panasonic TZ3, are you happy with it or is there something about it that you don't like?
Old Nov 26, 2007, 12:58 PM   #5

Peter,

I have the Panasonic FZ7, 12x zoom, 12 oz with battery. I got it tofor a safari and it worked great. Has all the features I needed, including a viewfinder which is essential in bright daylight. I was also able to turn off the LCD and use only the viewfinder to save on battery power. No way to recharge in the bush. The camera is pretty small; but still has the SLR-like geometry which hampers its portability, however since I had a backpack that was not an issue. Of all the super zoom types, I think the Panasonic is the best. I would buy it again.

For city travel, the SD700 worked ok; but I found myself constantly backing up to get the pictures I wanted. The samewas true inside cafes and hotels where I just couldn't get enough angle.

I used to lug a film SLR around and was recently looking to get the Nikon D80 as a replacement. But although I would love to have the picture quality, it's just too big and heavy. I think small and light is the way to go for safaris, cities, or mountains.

Dave
Old Nov 29, 2007, 11:59 AM   #6

Thanks for your reply, Dave. I agree with you about liking a small camera for travel, I often caught myself leaving my Rebel bag with heavy lenses at home - and then wishing I had a camera with me when I saw something interesting - many missed pictures!

I went to Costco and looked at TZ3 and Canon SD800 again. They are both good cameras, and I really like the zoom on Panasonic, but I am not used to LCD camera only, plus Canon is more 'pocketable'. Decisions, decisions.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 2:27 PM   #7

I've found that there's so much glare from the glasson anLCD in sunlight that I can't even see well enough to compose the picture. I trieda snap open LCD hood, but that didn't work either.