Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 26, 2007, 12:39 PM   #1

I've decided to spring for a new camera. I've been using an Olympus D-460 Zoom for *several* years. I love the pop-up flash and viewfinder. Butit's about time to breakout of the 1.3mp stone age.

Here's what I'd like:

1. Very low SHUTTER LAG. I haven't had low shutter lag since my old 35mm days. [I've had shingles. But that's for another forum.] I've browsed the forum but haven'tfound many comments regarding shutter lag. Maybe it's not an issure these days ... but I doubt it.

2. ZOOM. I'd love to have more than 5x or 6x. Maybe 12x, 15x,or even higher. [OK if it's partly digital.]

3. COMPACT. Small enough to carry in my pants pocket will suffice. Small enough for shirt pocket would be grand, but not a requirement.

4. PRICE in the $200 range. Possibly a little higher.

5. VIEW FINDER. I'd love to be able to take picturesas part of an audience in a dark theater. A glowing screen held near my eyeballs doesn't make many friends. So,a view finder would be nice. I won't call it a required requirement, though.

... and some other less significantitems ...

6.MACRO.

7. DEBEEPABLE. Turn off the stinking beeps ... and stay off!

8. SPOT focus.

9. FLASH that's easy to turn off. And easy to *know* it's turned off. Back to those audience settings .... making even fewer friends if the flash accidentally blinds everyone. Might even have to watch the reast of the show from outside!!

I'd love to hear any recommendations.

Thanks,
- Harry

wootan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2007, 1:04 PM   #2
Administrator

You may want to start your search with Steve's Best Cameras List

Make sure to read the review conclusion sections for models you consider. That's where Steve discusses things like Autofocus Speed and Reliablity, Cycle times between photos, viewfinder usability, image quality indoors and outdoors, etc.

You'll find that the Super Zoom models will all use an Electronic Viewfinder. It's just not practical to use a separate viewfinder once you get into longer zoom ranges with a non-DSLR camera model. But, Steve comments on the quality of the viewfinders in a camera review's conclusion section.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 1:24 PM   #3

Jim,

Thanks for the ultra-quick reply. I had reviewd the list of cameras. ButI didn't dig down to the conclusion on each to compare shutter lag. I'll do that. It's fairly simple to compare most of the other items on my list. The shutter lag is the mroe elusive factor. Steve's reviews will help a lot.

Now, if only I could find a camera to use SmartMedia. I hate having to swap to an all new media ... even though any mediashould be easier and safer to handle than SmartMedia.

Thanks,
- Harry
Old Nov 26, 2007, 1:38 PM   #4
Administrator

Sorry. Smartmedia has been obsolete for years now.

I think 2002 was probably the last year any model was manufactured that could use it. The Olympus C-5050z (launched in 2002) was one of the last digital cameras that had a slot for Smartmedia.

Smartmedia was never available in sizes greater than 128MB either (which would be *very* tiny by today's standards).

Old Nov 26, 2007, 2:11 PM   #5

Yeah, I was joking about the SmartMedia. I'm using it. But I know I won't be for muchlonger. I've stayed in touch with what's going on. I've just not been going on myself!

Thanks,
- Harry
Old Nov 26, 2007, 6:54 PM   #6

Pretty tough set of requirements, wootan. 2, 3, 4, and 5, together really limit the number of available cameras. The Canon A720IS is about the only one I could come up with that meets just about all of your needs...fairly quick lag, 6x zoom, compact (although you'd better wear baggy pants), around $200, optical viewfinder, and macro. You can mute most of the beeps, but I don't know if that includes warning beeps. Center focus (close enough to spot?), and easy to turn off flash.

Before you get too excited about this one, I think you need to consider one of your requirements you didn't number - low light performance. Hidden in #5, "I'd love to be able to take picturesas part of an audience in a dark theater." Don't expect miracles...at least not for $200...

Good luck with your search.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 11:37 PM   #7

Thanks, Hun. [Hmm-m-m ... that doesn't sound quite right!]

You hit right on the camera I started looking at today, the Canon A720IS.

You're right about low light. Buta stage is often lighted enough for some basic pictures. I won't be taking pictures of the audience itself!Besides, most anythingshould be an improvement over my Olympus D460.

Thanks,
- Harry
Old Nov 28, 2007, 2:34 AM   #8

or amazon.com, $199+free shipping+free 2gb SD card

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerSho...6238748&sr=8-1

but reviews say that AA batteries mean flash cycling takes a longer time than camerias with Li-On batteries
qweqwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 6:54 AM   #9
Administrator

Lots of stores have it at around the same price ($195-$200 range) with free shipping now.

I see free extras with some deals, too (for example, newegg.com has a free charger and sd card with one).

When you use the price search engines here (you'll see them in each camera's review or you can go to http://www50.shopping.com ), you help to support this site.

http://www50.shopping.com/xFS?FD=0&KW=canon+a720is