Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 27, 2007, 8:23 AM   #11

I have had the F Z 7 for a couple of years and I think the Panasonic F Z series are very good at what they do and would thoroughly reccommend them.I find the long end very useful as I take wildlife shots from time to time.As far as the Canon goes I personally would not go near a Point and Shoot Canon because of the error 18 prolem ,if you dont know what that is have a look at this http://www.e18error.com/a friend of mine has got it with his canon and it's a bin job once you are out of guarantee I'm afraid.Canon D S L Rs are brilliant obviously and I have owned more than one.
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 10:53 AM   #12

If the budget is the issue take a look at either the Canon S-3 or the Panasonic FZ-8. If you need an external flash, take a look at the Canon S-5.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 11:44 AM   #13

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
If the budget is the issue take a look at either the Canon S-3 or the Panasonic FZ-8. If you need an external flash, take a look at the Canon S-5.

Sarah Joyce
Sarah,

The budget is really not the issue. Its just that I don't really know what I need or which way to go with my upgrade. At first I thought I wanted to move up to a DSLR but after researching I have decided that is too big of a step for me to make at once.

The A-720 is $200 and I'm thinkinginstead of spending that on something similar to what I already have I should just go ahead and make a bigger step up to asuperzoom like the FZ-18 for $350 or the Canon S5-is for the same money.

What would be the pros and cons of a superzoom as compared to my A-540?

I read alot ofthe posts in these forumsand I do valueeveryonesopinion. So what would you choose between the FZ-8, FZ-18 or maybe the S5-IS. I'm ready to order one I just do not want to order the wrong one.
rachunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 12:59 PM   #14

If you are willing to consider a DSLR, I would definitely recommend the Nikon D-40 for your kind of photos. Begin with just the 18-55mm kit lens. Then add the lenses that fit your needs best.

Sarah Joyce
Old Nov 27, 2007, 6:43 PM   #15

Don't rule out the Panasonic FZ8 as already mentioned. Great camera and under $230 now I believe. I own one and couldn't be happier with it.
digitaldevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 6:59 PM   #16

I have owned and extensively used the Panasonic FZ-7. In view of that, I still think that the Nikon D-40 is the better choice for the type of excellent photos that the OP is now taking.

Sarah Joyce
Old Nov 27, 2007, 11:10 PM   #17

Not sure how a dSLR would help the OP out at all. The type of shots the OP is doing would be overkill for a dSLR + Lenses. A dSLR is a total waste of time and $$$ unless you are shooting alot of high ISO long exposure shots or you are printing larger then 8x10" prints. Otherwise any higher end P&S, like the FZ8, will easily do what is needed. The FZ8 even produces files good enough to print @ 11x14"! The shots the OP is taking could be done on a cheaper model yet really.

The FZ8, and FZ18, offer everything a dSLR does except for clean high ISO shooting and a hotshoe. Otherwise they offer everything a dSLR does.

We own a K10D Pentax, 20D Canon, FZ8, LZ2, around 12 film SLRs, and a dozen or more rangefinders and they all work equally well. My Wife owns/runs a Photography business and even sues the FZ8 sometimes for it instead of the dSLRs due to the hassle involved with switching lenses.

The cost involved with a dSLR is far greater then a higher end P&S once you consider purchasing lenses of decent quality to cover the same range and equal that the P&S covers and comes with.

Personally, for a beginner with no lenses already and wanting to get into a dSLR, the Pentax K100D is the one to go with currently. The price with the rebate is hard to beat and the camera offers far more then the competition does, like IS/SR on every lens used on it!
digitaldevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 8:19 AM   #18

A DSLR is out of the question for me right now. I feel like I have much to learn before taking that step.

The pics above were taken with my Canon A-540 and I like them ok I just want more zoom and with that I thought I should get something with "IS". How would the outdoor picture quality of the FZ compare to the A-540 I have now.

Thank you
rachunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 9:54 AM   #19

It might be worth finding out what the widest aperture is on the Canon ,if you are ok with the error 18 issue ,as my F Z 7 is 36mm at the widest which is not ideal for landscapes .What I do is stitch two or more panarama shots together to overcome this.When I bought mine 2 years ago nearly, the Canons were also getting bad reveiws about fringeing. Whoops going back I see Sarah has answered that by stating the F Z 18 starts at 28mm. Sorry!..
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:24 AM   #20

rachunter wrote:
Quote:
A DSLR is out of the question for me right now. I feel like I have much to learn before taking that step.

The pics above were taken with my Canon A-540 and I like them ok I just want more zoom and with that I thought I should get something with "IS". How would the outdoor picture quality of the FZ compare to the A-540 I have now.

Thank you
You obviously like landscapes (and you do a very nice job). You might want to check out how the FZ cameras handle them compared to the Canons.
Here's the FZ8 at Yellowstone http://www.pbase.com/sid6581/yellowstone
Here's the A570IS in Spain http://www.pbase.com/hverissimo/douro_internacional
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote