Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:49 AM   #21

It seems that the weather on the Pana pics is a bit overcast producing duller pics ,or do you think that the Canon is producing brighter pics?

Good photos with both cameras though,probably satisfy 90% of us.
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 6:52 PM   #22

Looks to me the weather was very different. As well as the Canon shots have been post processed quite a bit in PS CS2 and the Panasonic shots have not been post at all aside from what appears to be cropping and/or reduction in size as can be seen from the EXIF from the images.
digitaldevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 6:58 AM   #23

digitaldevo wrote:
Quote:
Not sure how a dSLR would help the OP out at all. The type of shots the OP is doing would be overkill for a dSLR + Lenses. A dSLR is a total waste of time and $$$ unless you are shooting alot of high ISO long exposure shots or you are printing larger then 8x10" prints. Otherwise any higher end P&S, like the FZ8, will easily do what is needed. The FZ8 even produces files good enough to print @ 11x14"! The shots the OP is taking could be done on a cheaper model yet really.

The FZ8, and FZ18, offer everything a dSLR does except for clean high ISO shooting and a hotshoe. Otherwise they offer everything a dSLR does.

We own a K10D Pentax, 20D Canon, FZ8, LZ2, around 12 film SLRs, and a dozen or more rangefinders and they all work equally well. My Wife owns/runs a Photography business and even sues the FZ8 sometimes for it instead of the dSLRs due to the hassle involved with switching lenses.

The cost involved with a dSLR is far greater then a higher end P&S once you consider purchasing lenses of decent quality to cover the same range and equal that the P&S covers and comes with.

Personally, for a beginner with no lenses already and wanting to get into a dSLR, the Pentax K100D is the one to go with currently. The price with the rebate is hard to beat and the camera offers far more then the competition does, like IS/SR on every lens used on it!
Would you explain something to me digitaldevo as this quote has made me have a slight rethink. To explain my situation,a good few years ago I started my foray into S L Rs with a Canon A E 1 program +3 prime lenses,which I loved and used for quite a time .then came auto focus so I bought the Canon E O S 100 + 2 lenses. Then the E O S300 + 28 -200 mm to be more portable.Two years ago decided to dip into Digital so got the F Z 7.Which is a cracking little camera and almost an slr ,I have Photo Elements 4 also and love playing with my pics.I am now ready to get a D S L R and have narrowed it down to two ,E 510 or Nikon D40 x +both with their respective short to long telephoto i.s lenses.Quite a jump in costs.I like to take occational low light shots, long wild life shots,action shots ,(I dont print A4 that often)which my F Z 7 does quite well. I am not competetive with my photography but want to be able crop better so like the idea of 10 m/pix and like the idea of lower noise in the crops.I dont want the weight of extra lenes any more. My questions are,1. having experience of all these cameras,do you think I will gain that much by changing ?or will I hardly notice the difference.2.Are the bridge camera lenses better at being versatile because of their size than say the Oly 18-180 which may not stretch in both directions as well. I would appreciate you taking the time to answer this lot.Thank you
Old Nov 29, 2007, 1:23 PM   #24

AndyfromVA wrote:
Quote:
You obviously like landscapes (and you do a very nice job).* You might want to check out how the FZ cameras handle them compared to the Canons.
Here's the FZ8 at Yellowstone http://www.pbase.com/sid6581/yellowstone
Here's the A570IS in Spain http://www.pbase.com/hverissimo/douro_internacional
Those are great pics. Not sure hom much PS was done but those Canon pics have that extra POP compared to the Panasonic. Then again, I don't know what mods were done on the pics.
Bigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 1:36 PM   #25

As a matter of interest, I put three of the Panasonic pics through photoshop and digitaldeva is dead right .By just using smartfix the panasonic photos looked equally as good as the canons pics.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 3:01 PM   #26

Not quite sure how to answer this, lol. I can tell you that the wide range lenses are nowhere near the quality for the dSLRs that you get out of the P&S, sadly. I am not a large fan of any of the large focal range lenses. Some are better then others of course, but they all sacrifice quality for "quantity" if you know what I mean. There will be differences between the dSLR and the P&S of course, but I personally don't find them very large until you start doing alot of low light, high ISO, long exposure shots and print over 8x10". I would have never said this a few years ago, but within the past couple years P&S cameras have come a long way in quality!!

My suggestion would be to take a memory card to the store and play with the dSLRs a bit and then go home and check out the shots and post process them a bit and see what you think!

Everyone's opinions will and do differ. I just see it daily anymore where people think a dSLR will get those "Pro" type shots they can't get with their present high end P&S. Too many folks put way too much emphasis on the equipment, when in reality, it is the skill of the person using it that makes the shot what it is! I love the phrase "The Magic Bullet"... Just wanted to make sure you are not trying to chase one, that is all. I don't like to see folks, with the economy like it is, waste $$$ they don't need to.
digitaldevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 3:32 PM   #27

Digitaldevo,

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my ramblings and also appreciate your candour.You have confirmed my suspicions as to performance.The two lens option doesn't appeal as the weight and dust put me off.

To buy a Nikon with the 18-200 VR zoom lensI fancy ,will set me back £800+,($1600 approx) which is a lot when you are retired,hence my hesitation.However ifIdecide to go ahead I will do as you suggest at the local dealers.

Regards

deadshot
Old Nov 29, 2007, 3:41 PM   #28

deadshot-

Today is packing day, and thus a busy one for us. However, I did take the time out to shoot some shot with the Nikon D-40X equipped with the Nikkor 18-200mmVR lens and the Olympus E-400 equipped with the Zuiko F 3.5 40-150mm lens.

I was rather surprised. Quite clearly the E-400 set-up produced measureably better image quality. This was rushed and rather quick, but the results were surprising. And yes, I also shot with the Pansonic FZ-18 as I own that camera as well. It was good for a P&S but not up to competing with either the D-40X or the E-400.

More later this even, for now I still have a lot to do so that we will be all loaded and ready to leave bright and early tomorrow (11/30) morning.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 6:31 PM   #29

As promised earlier, here are the results of that quick and dirty test that I ran today (11/29). This is the photo taken with the Panasonic FZ-18.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Nov 29, 2007, 6:33 PM   #30

Moving ahead, here it the photo from the Nikon D-40X with the Nikkor 18-200mmVR lens.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images