Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 29, 2007, 6:37 PM   #31

Now here is a sample photo from the Olympus E-410 with the new and shorter (about 1 inch smaller/shorter front to back) F 4.0 40-150mm lens. To my senior citizen (70+ years) eye balls, I prefer the Olympus E-410 photo, rather than the FZ-18 or the Nikon D-40X.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 7:57 PM   #32

sorry to interrupt; but wouldn't the Panasonic DMC-TZ3 be more comparable to the A720 ?
mywong23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 8:52 PM   #33

mywong23,

After more research I have decided the upgrade from the A-540 to the A-720 would not really be worth the money. I have decided instead to go with either the PanasonicFZ-18 or the Canon S5-IS. I started another thread when I really should have just added it here. Sorry about that

Anyone that can help me decide between these two please feel free to share you thoughts with me.

Thank you.
rachunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 9:13 PM   #34

rac-

That is indeed your personal choice. However, having made my own personal way through a goodly number of cumlitive cameras, I have, through the painful experience of multiple camera purchases, that sometimes it is whole lot more prudent to make a rather large jump ahead, so that I could forego the expense of camera purchase one after the other.

You should indeed do whatever seems the most prudent for yourself. However, based on my costly experience, I would humbly suggest that a jump to a DSLR camera in certainly not out of the question in view of the wonderful landscape photos that you are currently taking with you Canon A-540 camera.

It is entirely your decision, and I will not press the issue, however, I sincerely believe that moving to a DSLR might be the very best move you can make.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2007, 12:53 AM   #35

Sorry to say, but your tests are a bit flawed. Every camera comes setup differently (different factory defaults) for JPEG output. To properly compare quality you would need to set each camera up identical to the other (settings wise... in camera sharpening, contrast, WB, saturation, etc.). Otherwise the comparison is like apples to oranges.

No matter what camera one chooses you should always remember to learn that camera and the features it offers. Not to mention, how to properly set it up after charging the battery. Example, the Panasonic camera need to be turned from the default Pic. Adj. to Natural. By doing this simple adjustment you increase your image quality immensely! All of this can be found in the manual. Many cameras are like this and have little "tweaks" that can be learned.

Also, a very important, and one of the most important, factors in choosing a camera is how it "fits" your hands!!! You need to pick one that is comfortable in your hands, once you find that, then worry about features second.
digitaldevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2007, 2:12 AM   #36

Since you like the S5is, and the size of the A720, have you considered the G9? It has most of the features of the S5is, at nearly the size of the A720.
leaftye is offline   Reply With Quote