Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 26, 2007, 4:17 PM   #1

Please help me before I pull out my last three hairs!!!!

I want to upgrade my current Canon A-540, I think I have it narrowed down to these two choices the Panasonic FZ-18 or the Canon A-720 IS. I know these are two very different cameras and I cannot decide which would suit me better. I know have a A-540 and many times I have wished for "IS" on it.

I have basically read everything I can find on these two cameras and I'm starting to think that maybe all of this reading is making me more confused.

I would like to know if those of you with superzoom cameras use the extended zoom often?

Which camera would you choose between these two?

Below are a few of my pics just to give you and idea of what kind of pics I like. Just keep in mind I'm a total rookie.
Attached Images

rachunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2007, 4:25 PM   #2

another one
Attached Images

Old Nov 26, 2007, 4:27 PM   #3

another
Attached Images

Old Nov 26, 2007, 4:36 PM   #4

last one
Attached Images

Old Nov 26, 2007, 5:53 PM   #5

Wow - I've seen some unusual combos on this forum, but I think you just moved into first place! Why do you think the A720 is an upgrade? Because it has IS? A little more zoom? Judging by the pics you posted (and they are very nice, indeed), and assuming they are typical subjects, you should be looking for a camera with a wider angle lens, in which case the Z18 would qualify. I don't see where IS would be beneficial for the types of pics you've displayed. With the 504mm top end of the panny, IS is a must, IMHO.

And why do you question extended zoom in a superzoom camera? Are you referring to digital zoom? There's something you're not telling us, isn't there? Are you looking for an all-around camera, or is there some specialty that isn't being satisfied by the A540?

To answer your questions, I would pick the FZ-18. I own two superzoom cameras and rarely, if ever, use digital zoom.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 6:00 PM   #6

Rinnie is very correct. The Panasonic FZ-18 seems to hold the most potential for the kind of photos that you have posted. Your samples are excellent. The FZ-18 starts at a 28mm wide angle (in 35mm terms) and goes all the way to 504mm (in 35mm terms) that is a fantastic range.

The FZ-18 is an easy camera to use and produces excellent image quality. I have attached an FZ-18 photo sample taken with my FZ-18.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 6:37 PM   #7

Definitely the Panasonic. I have the FZ8 and couldn't be happier with it. In the super zoom P&S cameras you can not beat the Panasonics.
digitaldevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 10:00 PM   #8

On the other hand, Canon color looks different than Panasonic color. Since you're used to the output of the A540, you may have a problem with the colors of the pictures produced by the Panasonic.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 6:17 AM   #9

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
And why do you question extended zoom in a superzoom camera? Are you referring to digital zoom? There's something you're not telling us, isn't there? Are you looking for an all-around camera, or is there some specialty that isn't being satisfied by the A540?
What I meant by extended zoom was the 18x zoom of the Panasonic vs. the 6x zoom on the Canon. What I was questioning was how often you use the extra zoom on the FZ. I did not make that very clear, sorry about that.

Yes I am looking for a all-around camera.

I did consider the "IS", more zoom and facial recognition to be a upgrade from the A540 to the A720. Is my thinking wrong on that?

Now to complicate things more if I do go with the superzoom is the FZ18 the way to go or maybe the FZ-8 or the Canon S5 IS? I keep confusing myself with all these choices.

Thanks so much for trying to help me.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 7:05 AM   #10

It's hard to compare the A720 IS with the FZ18 as they are two different animals. Now the S5 IS is a model you can compare as it too is what we all consider a "super-zoom" digicam.

Both the S5 IS and FZ18 are awesome cameras, as you can see from Steve's reviews. Like someone already mentioned, color saturation will be slightly different between these two, and if you want images from your new model to have that "familiar look", then go with the S5 IS.

The FZ18 offers a much more versatile zoom range (18x, 28-504mm) and a much wider view (28mm compared to the S5's 36mm).How often you use the zoom endis going to depend onwhattypes of photography you practice. From looking at the examples you posted, youshoot more scenic/landscape shots. This is where you would benefit from the wider field of view on the FZ18. However, do not think that you can't capture awesome landscapes with the S5 IStoo.

Hope this helps you in some way.I'd goto you local electronics store and look at both models and see which "feels" the best to you. Then order it from an online vendor (usually much better price), and start snapping!
billy is offline   Reply With Quote