Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 26, 2007, 7:23 PM   #1

I am looking for a camera that is small but has a good zoom. I currently have a canon XT. But my husband wants one that he can carry hunting/trapping with him. I was thinking of the canon sx100. Is there a different one I should be looking at? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

A friend also recommended the Panasonic dmc-tz1 lumix 10x. Discuss that a little also please.

christy

duckfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2007, 7:56 PM   #2

Christy-

The Panasonic TZ-1 has been replaced by the TZ-3. It is a capable camera, but all photos must be framed using the LCD screen. Personally I prefer an optical viewfinder on my camera.

The Canon Sd series, such as the SD-700IS and SD-800IS have optical viewfinders and are very small and pocketable cameras. Take a look at those.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 8:16 PM   #3

is there anything out there that has a big zoom on it???? I see the sd700 is is only 4x? thanks.

christy

Old Nov 27, 2007, 8:18 AM   #4

any other suggestions for a camera for hunting that is small with a bigger zoom?

TIA

christy
Old Nov 27, 2007, 9:42 AM   #5

Christy-

The Panasonic TZ-3 is the smallest and most compact 10X opticaL zoom camera available. However, like the TZ-1 it does not have an optical view finder. All of the photos taken with either the TZ-1 or TZ-3 have to be framed with the camera's lcd.

Another possibility might be the Canon A-720 IS, which does have an optical viewfinder and 6X optical zoom.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 1:07 PM   #6

only one cam small enoug to ".. carry hunting/trapping with him.." (c) and have 10x zoom - this is Nikon S10
because i cannot use them, can't recommend myself, but Sreve's Review - http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_reviews/s10.html rates this cam mostly positive.

if you mean "camera for hunter" - i suggest A720is - both adequate lens and IS.

if i misunderstood you and if yo mean photohunting(4 animals) - take look at Kodak Z812 and Fuji - SD-6500.
at least first of them can accept wide range of converters,. thats help campture cautious animal - alot.
and IS helps very well, but SD-6500 - produced more usable pics and(most weak points 4 many) lives almost twice longer on one battery set.
also have great feedback from my friend about Olympus SP-550/560 UZ.
18x panasonic(as all FZ-s) - manageable and fuctionally, but produce terrible pic's almost in any light conditions.

also take a look at Kodak C875/z885 and Fuji F50
first - impressive/per cost performance(in terms of image quality)
second - nice LL performance w nice IS(comparable w/ Canon at least).
but - powered by proprietary Li-Ion, thus can't be suitable 4 hunter.
if budget ever lower than $150, i suggest FujiFilm Axxx - working in extrme conditions very well.

[img]chrome://piclens/content/launch.png[/img][img]chrome://piclens/content/launch.png[/img][img]chrome://piclens/content/launch.png[/img]
SkyShoot is offline   Reply With Quote