Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 26, 2007, 11:38 PM   #1

Time is flying... trying to freeze a few days on "film". Please help me... I'm ready for a new camera!

I don't want pocket size... 'cause I can't hold it still. IS of some sort is important.

I'd like plenty of flexibility... so good zoom seems nice.

Would like some speed for action photos.

Would like opportunity to manually adjust it... if I ever get a chance to study how!

Basically need point and shoot. (Don't think I'm ready for the DSLR's yet.)

Mainly taking family photos... vacations (so not all people photos!
)... sporting events... kids!

SIL has Sony H-2 and I've seen great photos with it... so I've looked at the H-9. I see some negatives from the boards... but wondering if they would apply to the needs I have????

Budget... of course lower is better... but for something really worthwhile... up to $500.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

1000words is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2007, 6:45 PM   #2

Do not be afraid of a DSLR. I wanted the same thing as you do a year ago and bought a nice Kodak (z7590) and caught the bug. I also found that the digi cam was always a little short for the shots I wanted to get. Get a dslr. Right now they all have great pricing for the holidays. Get the best deal you can for a lense kit. Even if people say that the kit lenses are not very good, they still provide a starting point. The good thing about a dslr is that if you or one of the kids really starts getting interested in photography as a hobby, you will be able to add onto your equipment with out starting over every six months to a year.

I recently bought a Pentax K100, and I am having a great time with it.

GrahamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 6:56 PM   #3

Graham-

Certainly the Canon A-570IS is priced well and can be used by anyone. So that would be my first choice for your Mom. But please, now be really, please, do we need to look a bit lower in the bin at a Kodak point and shoot cameras??

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 1:08 AM   #4

Maybe I stated it the wrong way, but I was not meaning for it sound like I was trying to talk her out of any camera, but rather to not being afraid of jumping straight to a DSLR camera.
GrahamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 7:37 PM   #5

Thanks GrahamM & Sarah Joycefor your replies!

I guess another reason I'm not ready for a DSLR... convenience... I'm on the go... and lucky to pick up THE camera. I'm afraid I'd completely lose out if I had to switch out the lens, etc. Then add the extra $$$. I do like the thoughts my kids could grow in to it as well though!

Right now I've got a Sony DSC W-1... 3x optical zoom.... lots of time I just want more zoom. And after 4 (?) years of my abuse... it seems to be out of focus more than it used to be... camera or me??? Figure by the time I pay someone to check it out... I could have put that money in to something new... with more features.

Funny you mentioned Kodak. I just called a friend that always has nice shots... Kodak P850... ????

So... really need point and shoot... with nice zoom... something to compensate for my shake.... ?fast auto focus? (if that's possible)...

I'll study your posts some more...

I'm open to all suggestions!

Thanks!
1000words is offline   Reply With Quote