Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 27, 2007, 11:01 AM   #11

Let me ask a few questions if I may?
  1. You say the LCD is hard to see. Are you using the LCD for composing / taking the photo or just reviewing the results? This matters because you're being advised to get a DSLR which won't let you compose using the LCD (which is a poor habit to be in for a larger camera - it's not as stable as using the viewfinder). But if it's a requirement of yours to compose using the LCD then you want one that has good visibility outdoors and allows live preview with autofocus (something only a couple of DSLRs have).[/*]
  2. Can you provide some specifics about the indoors shots you didn't like? Photographing kids moving around indoors is not easy and most cameras, including DSLRs are not going to do it well in auto mode. So, while it's true a DSLR has the potential to provide much better indoor shots it's no guarantee. It is likely there is more YOU could do as the photographer to get better results out of the H3. So I might suggest exausting the path of "how do I improve my indoor shots with the H3". You may find if you post some photos illustrating your problems and get some advice on what to do differently that you're able to gett the results you want. Of course you may not in the end. But at least if you go through the exercise you and the people on this forum can figure out which feature(s) is actually required to get you to the next level. Sometimes it's a digicam with better high ISO performance. SOmetimes it's a digicam with a hot shoe to attach an external flash (which will do a much better job than the built in flash on ANY camera). And for a select few cases, sometimes it's a DSLR - but ONLY with the right lens and/or flash[/*]
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 12:10 PM   #12

JohnG: I'm "used" to use a LCD display, cant be done with the Nikon?

The results with the H3 have been very mixed. Outdoors i think its doing great.
But indoors 90% of the pictures are "blurry" even on the cats when they are sleeping

I really dont "enjoy" messing to mutch with the camera. Ofcourse in bad conditions or setting the white-balance when taking product photos.

I'm really not sure if a "big" DSLR camera is something for me
But i'm sure that the H3 isnt for me, even my old panasonic dmc-fx9 does better with the auto-shoots.
Slamtilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 12:31 PM   #13

Slamtilt wrote:
Quote:
But indoors 90% of the pictures are "blurry" even on the cats when they are sleeping
OK, here's a specific thing to discuss. Do you have a sample photo you can post? "blurry" could be one of 3 things:

1. Camera didn't focus properly

2. Motion blur caused by slow shutter speed and subject moving

3. Camera shake caused by slow shutter speed and not being able to keep camera steady during the shot.

Now, if we have a specific photo we can talk specifics - i.e. we can see what shutter speed and ISO were used. We can see whether or not flash was being used. We can get an idea for which type of 'blur' is occuring. All of which helps determine what the real problem is and how to fix it. All I'm saying is you may be able to fix it with the current camera - buying a different camera may or may not produce better results.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 3:57 PM   #14

Kids are like pets, unless they are asleep, they are very difficult to photograph with your basic PnS Digicam. Shutter lag is one culpirt, another is flash, and yet another is autofocus... or lack thereof. I've worked with kids in focus groups and monitored play sessions for years, sometimes working behind a one-way mirror, sometimes out in the field, recording/shooting them playing with toys & games. As a parent, you have more time on your hands than anyone else, so keep your camera(s) handy for that UGH! Kodak moment! And since we've all but forgotten our wonderful film cameras... exploit the digicam's best feature... taking a gazillion pictures and keeping only the best of the best.

I'd agree with the suggestion for the Nikon D40 as a viable candidate. It is a relatively new design, extremely light for a DSLR, and fairly intuitive to use. Get yourself a decent add-on flash and with a zoom lens you should be in business, plus it wouldn't hurt your ability to shoot product shots for the web site. If you don't like Nikon... there are nice alternatives from Canon, Olympus, and few others. And after all is said and done, get yourself a true pocketable digicam as a second option. I keep my Sony T30 in my pocket all the time... honest.
drgrafix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 2:17 PM   #15

ultrzoom not very suited for '"family shoots cam" but i agree , Kodak Zxxx - best for this purpose.
for author H3 - good additions is something like A720IS or F50fd.
fast, IS. and decent quality to "stop time"-shoots for family.

IMHO best is for author - live test in electronic store :-)
take you family there and enjoy unforg weekend

[img]chrome://piclens/content/launch.png[/img]
SkyShoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 3:20 PM   #16

I did return the H3 to the store to day and got a D40.
A higher price, but so far it feels ok.

Its a total new game. Alot functions and ALOT of them from the camera. Love the guides and "prephotos" that helps me how i should set the settings.

Still havent been able to to take outdoor pictures with it, but i will try tomorrow.

I get back with how its going
Old Dec 4, 2007, 12:21 PM   #17

I did go for the Nikon D40.

What can i say. Its a great camera. For someone who never have owned a "real camera" this is huge...

I have normaly taken about 8-10 pictures on every product to get 1-2 good. Now i take 1-2 and both are fine!

Also great photos on the kid!

Very easy to use camera even for a newbie like me, the menys is telling me what to do! Its great.

Huge thanks!
Old Dec 5, 2007, 9:09 PM   #18

if you are taking alot of photos indoors at your house, and the lighting isn't all that great, and if you can survive without the IS (find some to test out somewhere), check out the fujifilm Super CCD cameras.

they come in all shapes and sizes and will probably fit your needs a little better than a DSLR.

other than that I say check out the TZ3 or even the S5, though it will be larger andhas a few editing issues one should be aware of--but most do anyway if you want really good pictures such as those.

and by the way, superzooms are great for capturing candid photos from a distance, and great for doing so with kids who have a particularly strong tendency to change their behavior for the camera these days. Perhaps you were refering to the noise issues found on most compact superzooms, that generally won't be much of a problem for any of them outdoor in well lit environments,but if lighting is less than optimal you can get a few post editing programs and edit out the noise very effectively in most of your photos in just a few seconds, and then spend some extra time making those really special pictures look really nice.

anyway, I think takingroutes such as those are far better for what your purposes sound to than bringing out the big guns. Try to hunt down forums on flickr and other photo sharing sites to view actual photos taken by normal people. That helps out alot.
Xmasshopping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2007, 1:39 AM   #19
Super Moderator

Slamtilt wrote:
Quote:
I did go for the Nikon D40.

What can i say. Its a great camera. For someone who never have owned a "real camera" this is huge...

I have normaly taken about 8-10 pictures on every product to get 1-2 good. Now i take 1-2 and both are fine!

Also great photos on the kid!

Very easy to use camera even for a newbie like me, the menys is telling me what to do! Its great.

Huge thanks!
Glad to hear it's working out well for you.

The D40 was precisely made for people in your situation; as John said the conditions for taking pictures of children are often actually quite difficult. So a low-cost DSLR like the D40 is ideal, it will give you lots more good pics than the P&S and isn't really much harder to use.

For a lot of us (me included) the main reason we buy more expensive cameras is to get better pictures of our family, and especially our children.

Post some pics when you get and chance and enjoy.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote