Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 27, 2007, 2:10 AM   #1

Well i been using a pocketcamera, and wow the pictures are bad....

Got a Sony H3 yesterday (10x zoom) but now i read that supezooms are not very good for what i need.

Any suggestions? i dont like a big SLR camera and i dont know how to use them anyway

Dont care if its a bit big, i like to point and shoot and get good photos

Any suggestions? (Both indoor and outdoor)

Oh i also photo products for my website, but even my old pocketcamera did ok on that.
Slamtilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2007, 2:23 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Nikon D40 and kit lens.

Just use it like a P&S. It's a DSLR, but a not a big one.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 2:36 AM   #3

Looks huge, also not for sale here in sweden. Is it new or old? (Since i cant find it in any shops on pricerunner sweden)

The lens looks very very big?
Old Nov 27, 2007, 4:25 AM   #4

" Got a Sony H3 yesterday (10x zoom) but now i read that supezooms are not very good for what i need."

Did you try it, or just read about it?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 4:39 AM   #5

I have played with the H3. Having a hard time getting any really good shots inside really. Maybe my kid is playing around to mutch. Also tryed it outside and its really really had to se the LCD display.
Its a sexy camera for sure, but i'm not sure that its the best for me.

Why i did ask about the superzoom is that i started to check what camera i should get if i return it and alot people writes that superzoom isnt the best when photo kids, but i have no clue
Old Nov 27, 2007, 4:52 AM   #6

I found the D40 in a few stores now.
Looks like this camera dont have auto focus? For a newbie like me this feels about "hard"?
Old Nov 27, 2007, 6:59 AM   #7

Slamtilt wrote:
Quote:
...alot people writes that superzoom isnt the best when photo kids, but i have no clue
What is it they don't like? Some of them have better built-in flash than almost any of the dSLRs. I'm getting the best images I've ever done in about 47 years of photography with my ridiculously cheap Kodak Z712is superzoom. I've finally sold my Olympus OM-10 SLR & lenses.

There are many good competitors to the Z712 and similar (mostly for more money). The electronic viewfinder (EVF) allows me to set the exposure by eye before I shoot, and avoid peering at an LCD screen (often impossible to see without a shade of some kind). Most SLRs don't allow that. You have to make the mistake first and then remedy it with another shot.

But first of all, don't expect a not-very-good in-camera computer to be cleverer than you. Please don't just point & shoot. A bit of browsing in these forums (or a book) will help you to get the best out of ANY digicam with some manual settings. There are many levels between 'fully auto' and 'fully manual', and you can delve deeper as you learn. At least choose for yourself what shutter speed or aperture to use. It really isn't very difficult. You have a supercomputer in your head.

And, most of all, shoot lots & lots of shots, and throw most of them away. That's the way most professionals have always operated, even when film was expensive and processing was even more time-consuming.

Good luck!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 11:04 AM   #8

slamtilt-

The Nikon D-40 + kit lens is a very good suggestion. Yes, it does indeed have auto focus and the D-40 is very fast operating as well.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 11:55 AM   #9

D-40 feels like a very big camera for me. Its alot bigger then does Superzooms (FZ-18 ) i think.

But i will check it in store tomorrow.

They got the following:
NIKON DSLR-CAMERA D40 18-55MM - I can afford.
NIKON DSLR-CAMERA D40X 18-55MM - Cant afford.

Whats that X stands for?

I also take about 50 productshots for my webstore every month. This will work nice for that right? (Use a compact camera for it today...)
Old Nov 27, 2007, 12:00 PM   #10
Administrator

The Nikon D40x is a newer 10 Megapixel model. The D40 is a 6 Megapixel Model.

For web size product photos (or even 8x10" or larger prints), either should do a good job (and the 6 Megapixel sensor will have lower noise compared to the newer 10 Megapixel sensor at higher ISO speeds, too).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote