Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 27, 2007, 8:07 PM   #11

Here's another website where you can compare cameras.

http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.p...2118&ph=21
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 11:16 PM   #12

AndyfromVA wrote:
Quote:
Here's another website where you can compare cameras.

http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.p...2118&ph=21
That's really the same website as Rinnie supplied at http://www.lesnumeriques.com/duels.php?.

One has to be very careful when using Face-to-Face or Image Resource to make judgements. Face to Face changes test subjects (backgrounds, lighting, film speeds for no apparent reason) while Image Resources changes effective magnification based on MP.

I think rachunter should consider JimC's advice. P&S cameras are commodities. In general the same investment is going to bring the same results regardless of brand, just decide how much your going to spend.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 8:22 AM   #13

Hey guys,

For starters, I sure do thank everyone for trying to help me decide which camera to buy. I have to be out of the office today and I will try my best to find somewhere to look at these cameras in person.

( Billy, I live so far back that you cannot even get to BFE from here...LOL:-) )

You know it kind of complicates things when someone who knows very little about photography (me) ask for advice from people that know much more about the subject. I just wonder if some of the differences in cameras and photo qualitythat you guys see would be noticed by someone with much less experience. I really wish I knew more aboutphotography and I'm trying to learn its just a slow process.

This forum is very helpful andit is a wonderful learning tool for me. I know I ask some off the wall questions sometimes and I really do appreciate the patience all of you show.

While reading reviews across the net it seems like you will read 3 or 4 good reviews on a particular camera and then you will come across one that makes you think its just slightly better than a early 80's Polaroid instant camera. This drives me crazy... maybe I should say crazier.

The side by side comparison's are very helpful, thanks for sharing that info with me.

Please keep the thoughts and comments coming, I need all the help I can get. LOL
rachunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 9:50 AM   #14

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
I consider my post more useful than any other in this thread so far. I offered an option that perhaps the OP had not considered. I included objective evidence. What words of wisdom did you offer?

the Hun

Good job.

rachunter:

Good luck, since my input is not near as good as the above, I'll just move on to something else.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 12:22 PM   #15

Seeing as how you decided to edit your post before you threw mine back in my face, let's see it again...

billy said, "

"In his other post, he attached images of the typical types of photos he shoots. Your post is doing nothing but making his decisioneven more difficult.We're all here to help...... "

I disagreed.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 5:08 PM   #16

Ok now this is just my luck. I traveled 280 miles today stopped at 2 shopping malls, 1 walmart, 1 target and 1 sam's club. I did get to see the Canon S5 IS but of course the batteries were dead.

Then I finally found a Ritz camera walked in and right there in the glass case was a unopened box with a FZ-18 in it. Finally I was going to get to see this camera in person.......WRONG......I asked to see it and the girl explained that the manager had lost the keys to the display cases and he was gone looking for them she was not sure when he would be back or if he would even find them.

Such is a day in the life of me!

So as you can see I do not have any good shops to choose from here. I will just have to rely on you guys to help me figure out which one to get and then I can order it online.

Old Nov 28, 2007, 6:12 PM   #17

Suggestions:

1. Return to the mall equipped with batteries, flash cards, and a crowbar.
2. Fly to NYC to shop.
3. Buy online.

It would be a shame if you couldn't at least handle each of the cameras you're considering before you buy. But if you can't, buy from a reputable dealer with a decent return policy (just in case).

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 8:44 PM   #18

Anymore imput on the FZ-18 VS. the S5-IS ? ? ?

Please
Old Nov 30, 2007, 10:26 AM   #19

I think you've been given good advice already although some of it appears geographically impractical for you.Rinnie has provided two sites, imperfect but usable to compare the output of those two cameras as well as a number of other super-zoom cameras.

My $0.02. Restricting myself to only the two you asked about in this thread I'd select the S5 because of its 12x lens. In the words of TCav, a frequent contributor to these forums " zooms are a compromise and superzooms are super-compromises". I'm of the opinion that within the current economic/engineering/manufacturing realities a 12x lens will deliver better, more consistent IQ throughout its range compared the 15x-18x lenses now appearing on the market. Maybe I'll change my mind with the next generation. I'd actually consider the FZ8 vs. S5 a slightly tougher choice.

Concurrent with the choice of the S5 because of the more conservative lens the S5 has the potential of using a more powerful and versatile external flash in the future should that be required.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2007, 10:45 AM   #20

ac.smith wrote:
Quote:
I think you've been given good advice already although some of it appears geographically impractical for you.Rinnie has provided two sites, imperfect but usable to compare the output of those two cameras as well as a number of other super-zoom cameras.

My $0.02. Restricting myself to only the two you asked about in this thread I'd select the S5 because of its 12x lens. In the words of TCav, a frequent contributor to these forums " zooms are a compromise and superzooms are super-compromises". I'm of the opinion that within the current economic/engineering/manufacturing realities a 12x lens will deliver better, more consistent IQ throughout its range compared the 15x-18x lenses now appearing on the market. Maybe I'll change my mind with the next generation. I'd actually consider the FZ8 vs. S5 a slightly tougher choice.

Concurrent with the choice of the S5 because of the more conservative lens the S5 has the potential of using a more powerful and versatile external flash in the future should that be required.
I don't think the reviews I have read support your claim that 18 time zoom lenses are not as good as 12 time zoom lenses.
richwolf is offline   Reply With Quote