Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 30, 2007, 10:38 PM   #31

ac.smith wrote:
Quote:
richwolf wrote:
Quote:
So what would be a better camera and why?
FZ8 vs. S5? Different but equal in general picture taking situations. Tip of the hat to the S5 because of the hot shoe IF I WERE IN THE MARKET. I'm not because my current 12x superzoom is doing fine.
Quite a price difference between the two.

I think the average person might put more weight on the better video that the s5 offers vs. the hotshoe. I wonder how many people actually use a hot shoe vs. the standard flash? Probably not many because of the hassle involved. But if an external flash is a must then you have to go with canon.

Between the s5 and the fz18, I would take the longer zoom because that is what is more important to me. I am more of an outdoor shooter. With my fz8 I got addicted to the extra zoom range the first day.

richwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2007, 10:39 PM   #32

pcake,

1- Mustbe good for landscape photos

2- Must be rookie friendly, ease of use.

3- Must be in the $300 - $400 price range

When I decided to purchase another camera I thought I would go with the Canon A-720is to replace my A-540 but the more reading I did the more I thought I would like to try a camera that would excel at landscape photos since that is what I like the most and I thought a superzoom would allow me many more options in that kind of pictures. Does that make sense?

I like to take my camera everywhere with me which can be anywhere from backpack to a kayak (drybox)and many places in between. This is why I am not interested in a DSLR at this time. It needs to be very portable.

Thank you for your help.
rachunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2007, 11:03 PM   #33

rachunter wrote:
Quote:

pcake,

When I decided to purchase another camera I thought I would go with the Canon A-720is to replace my A-540 but the more reading I did the more I thought I would like to try a camera that would excel at landscape photos since that is what I like the most and I thought a superzoom would allow me many more options in that kind of pictures. Does that make sense?

I like to take my camera everywhere with me which can be anywhere from backpack to a kayak (drybox)and many places in between. This is why I am not interested in a DSLR at this time. It needs to be very portable.

Thank you for your help.
Quote:
I think if you go backpacking etc that either of the cameras youare consideringmight be too bulky. I am a bicyclist and have a canon sd300 that treated me very well for several years before I got the dreaded cracked screen. It went everywhere with me. My FZ8 can be hauled along but it is much more of a commitment. I still take my SD300 with me because it still takes pictures but I can't change settings or review pictures on the go.
Quote:
If your heart is set on a superzoom then flip a coin between the two. I know I would not be dissapointed with either one.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 11:38 PM   #34

rachunter wrote:
Quote:
pcake,

Many people (not me) like a very wide angle lens for landscape and if you fall into that camp the FZ18, whose lens starts at 28mm equiv. has an advantage over both the FZ8 and the S5 which start at about 35mm equiv. I use a telephoto for landscape so that wouldn't affect my choice. I'd also rather have a sharp 420-430mm over a soft 580. If I need a soft 580 I'll just put a TCON on the 420.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 12:30 PM   #35

ac.smith wrote:
Quote:
rachunter wrote:
Quote:
pcake,

Many people (not me) like a very wide angle lens for landscape and if you fall into that camp the FZ18, whose lens starts at 28mm equiv. has an advantage over both the FZ8 and the S5 which start at about 35mm equiv. I use a telephoto for landscape so that wouldn't affect my choice. I'd also rather have a sharp 420-430mm over a soft 580. If I need a soft 580 I'll just put a TCON on the 420.
The attached camera ratings page puts the FZ18 at the top of the heap. If you read the review they say the FZ18 has better resolution and dynamic range vs. the FZ8. http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/rat...=PointandShoot

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"With more range at both the wide angle and zoom and running only around 80 dollars more than the FZ8 I think it is the camera to get. The only thing that would favor the S5 is if you need a hotshoe or better video.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 3:21 PM   #36

richwolf wrote:
Quote:
The attached camera ratings page puts the FZ18 at the top of the heap. If you read the review they say the FZ18 has better resolution and dynamic range vs. the FZ8. http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/rat...=PointandShoot

With more range at both the wide angle and zoom and running only around 80 dollars more than the FZ8 I think it is the camera to get. The only thing that would favor the S5 is if you need a hotshoe or better video.
I have no shares of either Canon nor Panasonic and no real motivation except to try to provide good advice to others in this forum that ask question. No one is under any obligation to pay any attention to the advice.

I haven't spent near the time studying the reviews at Digital Camera Info that I've spent with Steve's reviews or those at DPReview but what I have seen hasn't impressed me. Again that's just my opinion of their reviews.

I'd much rather take pictures than continue this discussion ad infinitum. No one has to justify their purchase choice to me nor will justifying the purchase choice improve their pictures. Taking pictures will improve the pictures.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 3:40 PM   #37

rachunter wrote:
Quote:

pcake,

Thank you for your help.
If portability is important to you, you may want to consider the Panasonic TZ3. It has a zoom range of 28 (very wide) to 280 mm (10x), and weighs only 9 oz, compared to 15 oz for the FZ18. The TZ3 has also gotten excellent reviews. It has optical image stabilization, like the FZ18, and costs at least $90 less. It's more of a point and shoot camera, and doesn't have the full range of manual controls that the FZ18 has, but for your purposes it may be ideal.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2007, 12:10 PM   #38

OK I have decided to go with the Panasonic FZ-18. I thank everyone so much for all of the help.

I'm getting ready to order this camera now can someone please suggest a specific memory card for this camera and I will order it while I'm at it.

Thanks so much. :-)
rachunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2007, 5:54 PM   #39

I have been using the A-Data Turbo cards, quite cheap and they have held up great!
digitaldevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2007, 6:05 PM   #40

After planning on buying the Canon S3 online from Costco, it was no longer there. I then went on to find that the price seemed to shoot up everywhere. I ended up finding a deal at Office Depot for the S5 for $319. This seemed to be a pretty good deal. I think it is on sale there for a few more days and you can pick it up at a store after ordering it online. I got mine the same day.
ocrob38 is offline   Reply With Quote