Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 27, 2007, 3:17 PM   #1

Ok I have decided the superzoom is the way to go for me.

Between these two cameras only. Which would you choose? why?

Thanks eveyone for your help
rachunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2007, 3:28 PM   #2

It all depends on what YOU want. Like I said in your other post, go to a local vendor and hold each camera and see which one "feels" the best to you. You have to take a look at what your needs are for what you are shooting.

Again, both are great models, with awesome features (8M, OIS, etc.). I like the FZ18's longer and wider focal range. However, I like the fact that theS5 IShas a flash hot shoe for an external unitand a "Vari-angle" LCD.

Also, the Canon images, menus, and operation willbe more "familiar" as you already use a PowerShot model.

Either way, I feel you'll be happy with which ever model you choose.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 4:03 PM   #3

The area of WV that I'm in does not have anywhere that I can look at these cameras and compare the feel of them, thats why I have to rely so much this forum.

This is really a tough choice for me, I checked amazon and both cameras are selling for the same price, $339 so that does not help me decide.

I hate to flip a coin....LOL

With the cost being equal, which onewould you pick?

Old Nov 27, 2007, 4:06 PM   #4

Billy has stated the position very well. I have weighed this decision all morning long, and I cannot help but add this comment: I own the FZ-18 and the thing that bothers me a lot is its poor flash performance. It does well outside, but the FZ-18 is really held back by it indoor/no flash performance and its lack of an external flash.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 4:26 PM   #5

billy,

So if it were you buying today, which would it be?

mtclimber,

Knowing this info about the flash, if you were buying today which would it be?

Sorry to be such a pest but this is a big decision for me. I do trustboth of you much more thanI trust myself simply because you are both much more experiencedand knowledgeable than I am on this subject.

Thank you :-)

Old Nov 27, 2007, 5:08 PM   #6

Just to confuse things a little more I was just going through the pics I have taken over the last year to see how many flash pics I take. I would say less than 5% of my pics over the last year were flash pics. Also very few indoor pics.

Old Nov 27, 2007, 5:42 PM   #7

rachunter,

Why do you continually lock yourself into limited choices? At first, you wanted us to help you choose between the S5 and the A720...then the FZ-18 and the A720...now the FZ-18 and the S5. You admit you're confused, yet you insist on knowing which two cameras you want to buy ("Between these two cameras only.")...out of hundreds on the market. I haven't seen a post where you actually told us what types of photography you're interested in, or what features may be most important to you.

Well, I'm not going to play your game...I'm going to broaden your horizons a little...I'm going to add a 3rd prospective camera - the Fuji S6000fd.

You want good low light performance? Powerfull flash? Great picture quality? A larger sensor? 28-300mm lens? RAW capable? Manual zoom and focus rings? Take a look...

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

Select the S5 as you first camera..*****oll down to Still-life 200 (for a test of ISO 200 performance)...when the thumb-nail opens up, click on it to make the pic full size.

Now, select the FZ-18 as the second camera, select the Still-life 200 as above, and compare the pictures. Which looks better to you?

Go back to the link and start again. Select whichever camera looked better at ISO 200 as the first camera. Scroll down to Still-life 200 as above.

Now, select the S6000fd as your second camera..*****oll down to Still-life 200 - no wait - keep going down to Still-life 400 - no wait - let's be fair - scroll down to Still-life 800...click on it and compare the crayons...how do they look? Move over to the salt and pepper shakers...compare the knurling on the knobs on top - could you even tell there was knurling there in the first camera? A little too aggressive on the noise reduction - even at ISO 200? Now move over to the color swatch...compare - how do they look? How about the label on the olive oil bottle? Don't forget you're comparing one camera at ISO 200 vs another at ISO 800.

Of course, this is just one reviewer's results...others could be completely different...

Alright, let's try one more...

http://www.lesnumeriques.com/duels.p...=2118&ph=7

or this...

http://www.lesnumeriques.com/duels.p...a2=60&ph=7

Maybe you would take more inside pics if you had a camera that could handle it...maybe not.

Have fun.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 6:33 PM   #8

I vote for the Panasonic. I have an LZ2 and an FZ8 and could not be happier. They offer the best features for the money. The S5 IS, if it is your choice, get the S3 IS instead, better camera over all.

As for Fuji, they lack real IS, instead they auto bump the ISO up, which IMHO kind of stinks. The Canon and Panasonic both have true IS. The Fuji does do better at higher ISOs but at the cost of finer details. Pretty much the same results can be gotten from either the Canon or the Panasonic by using Neat Image afterwards. None of the P&S style digicams are good for print sizes above 4x6" or maybe a 5x7" above ISO200 in all honesty, not even the Fujis.

Panasonic's noise can be decreased greatly by simply changing the Pic. Adj. from the default to natural. And even further by shooting in RAW.

Also, if cost is an issue, take a look for a leftover FZ8. You can find them for around $230 or less now! Excellent camera! The FZ8 pretty much has every feature of a dSLR, except for a host shoe, in a P&S body. The focal range is also really nice! It compliments our K10D and 20D quite well.

Also, if you shoot Macros at all, the panasonics have a far better macro mode then the competition, which is one of the main reasons I went with them. The Leica designed and/or built lenses on them really allows them to capture a bit more fine details then the competition.
digitaldevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 7:26 PM   #9

rachunter:

There's nothing near you? Shoot, I live in BFE, and we still have a least abest buy and such about 30 minutes away, lol.

It's ultimately up to you. I'm not sure which one I would select, as I have used both and love both models for the reasons I stated above. Other aspects you need to look into are, the size of the model, they of batteries used, etc.

The S5 IS uses AA type cells, while the FZ18 uses a proprietary Li-ion battery pack. Both have there advantages, and disadvantages.

If I can be of more assistance, let me know. Good luck!

billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 7:38 PM   #10

"In his other post, he attached images of the typical types of photos he shoots. Your post is doing nothing but making his decisioneven more difficult.We're all here to help...... "

I consider my post more useful than any other in this thread so far. I offered an option that perhaps the OP had not considered. I included objective evidence. What words of wisdom did you offer?

"It all depends on what YOU want."

" Either way, I feel you'll be happy with which ever model you choose."

" It's ultimately up to you."

"Both have there advantages, and disadvantages."

Thanks for all your suggestions.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote