Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 28, 2007, 6:11 PM   #1

Hello All,

First of all my name is Chris. And I would like to say hello. Any way, I am starting in to leatherwork and would like to purchase a digital camera that would take good pictures of it. I was suggested to find one that has a good macro?? Whatever that is. Also i would like the camera to stay somewhere around 250-300 dollars. If that it possible. And the camera would also be used for other stuff rather then just leather work, like all around. I know im probably asking the impossible but I dont know anything about cameras period..lol Please help

Thanks,

Chris
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2007, 6:23 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum, Chris.

Macro is a closeup mode. Most digital cameras are equipped to take macros...some better than others. What is the size of your leather projects? Are we talking thimbles or saddles?

Take a look at Steve's 'The Best Cameras' section:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html

One of them, the Fuji S700 seems to have a pretty good macro mode, and is also a pretty good all around camera. Quite a few of our members have them. Her's a link to a thread with lots of pics:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=16

Good luck with your search.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 6:55 PM   #3

Thanks hun. Well I am starting off on belts and wallets and eventually would like to get into saddles. Thanks for the info. I didnt have a clue what macro was until now..lol Or at least an idea. And thanks for the links. But I have seen macro advertised in different milimeters, I think?? :?How do I tell which on is better on close up?

Thanks,
Chris
Old Nov 28, 2007, 7:38 PM   #4

Chris-

Another welcome to the forum. Rinnie's suggestion is a good one. The Fuji S-700 is an inexpensive camera and very good in doing macro work as it has both a normal macro mode and a super macro mode. Has your local Fuji dealer demonstrate the S-700 for you. That way you will both have a chance to handle the camera, but to also see in a first hand way what the camera can really do.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 7:56 PM   #5

Well i was reading about the S700 and it seems like a great camera for a good price. It looks like it has a lot of features that I have no clue about. But it looks like it should do the job. And the pictures using that macro feature look good and not blurry at all. I am going this to look at some. Are there any other models out there like this?
Thanks,

Chris
Old Nov 29, 2007, 12:17 PM   #6

There are lots of cameras available today. In your original post, you were mostly concerned with macro of leatherwork and then other stuff, like all around. You specified a price range of $250-$300. Maybe if you could define 'other stuff' and 'all around', we could help you out. Also, is the $ range you specified firm and inflexible?

the Hun

Old Nov 30, 2007, 12:23 AM   #7

Well the other stuff and all around that I was talking about was like if I go on vacation or to a party and I would like to take some pictures. That what I was talking about. The price range, yes I would like it to stay somewhere around there.

Thanks,

Chris
Old Nov 30, 2007, 12:33 AM   #8

Take a look at the Panasonic FZ8, can be had for under $250 now and it has an excellent macro mode! One of the better macro modes out of the P&S style cameras. If you check out this link you can see lots of macros done with the Panasonic LZ2 (cheap model) and imagine, the FZ8 is about 10x better, lol.
http://www.pbase.com/digitaldevo/jewelry&page=all
digitaldevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 10:58 PM   #9

Guys and girls, I really aprreaciate your all experience with this decision. I have purchase the Fuji S700. I really really like the camera and I also enjoy taking more then I thought i would...so who knows I mite start this too..lol

Thanks,

Chris
Old Dec 4, 2007, 4:40 AM   #10

Good luck with your new camera...post a wallet pic or two when you get a chance.

the Hun