Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 29, 2007, 12:10 AM   #1

Hi all,

I belong to a few forums, but I am new to this one. I am a 38 year old guy that used to do all kinds of crazy action sports. I surfed for many years, skateboarded for over twenty years and was sponsored for vertical inline skating. Last year I got back into vertical rollerskating and now that I am enjoying the local park, I would like to take pictures of people and have them do the same for me. I am an extremely amateur photographer, but have always had a thing for photography. My intention is to get a camera that I can take to the park and take pictures and videos as well as get people to take them of me. My friend on a skate forum told me the Canon S3 is great. I have seen the pictures and vids and am very impressed. I am not looking for perfection, but a camera that will do the job. I just want to take a ton of pics and a ton of cool videos and share them with the people that I film. I would appreciate any advice that can be given. I am definitely hooked on the S3, but would love to hear any opinions. I found this camera online for $220 plus $14 shipping. I plan on buying the 4 GB 6 class SDHC card. Please let me know, if I am on the right path or should try something different.

Thanks,

Robert
ocrob38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2007, 4:18 AM   #2

That's a great camera, but the price you quoted seems a little too good (to be true)- about $60 below what many of the reputable online dealers are selling it for (Amazon $286, B&H $289, Beach $286). Beware - lot's of scams out there...could be used, damaged, grey market, etc. Better to pay a little more and get it from a reputable firm, than to pay less and get a useless piece of melted plastic with no recourse.

Just my 2 cents.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 12:19 PM   #3

I agree the S3 should be fine for what you want - but get it from a reputable place.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 12:46 PM   #4

The price is from Techon Video who is listed on everyprice.com. I know Costco sells it for $279 and inlcudes a 2GB sd card 80x. Anyone know how a card like this would compare to the 4gb sdhc class 6? I understand less memory, but how much difference in speed and quality?

Also, any suggestions for any other cameras that might be just as good for less money? I was told I should get a 35mm type camera instead of a pocket one because it would be easier to take pics. Do you agree?

Thanks,

Robert
ocrob38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 3:16 PM   #5

ocrob38 wrote:
Quote:
The price is from Techon Video who is listed on everyprice.com. I know Costco sells it for $279 and inlcudes a 2GB sd card 80x. Anyone know how a card like this would compare to the 4gb sdhc class 6? I understand less memory, but how much difference in speed and quality?

Also, any suggestions for any other cameras that might be just as good for less money? I was told I should get a 35mm type camera instead of a pocket one because it would be easier to take pics. Do you agree?

Thanks,

Robert
As to another camera. By "35mm type" camera there are several categories:

Film SLR

Digital SLR (DSLR)

"Bridge" camera - still a digicam but similar to a DSLR.

Neither the film SLR NOR the DSLR are going to do movies - which you want to do. And the DSLR is going to be more than your budget (maybe not a lot more but since it doesn't have video it's a poor fit).Now A DSLR will allow for betterphoto results - better focusing, more frames-per-second, better subject-isolation (subject in focus, background blurry). But you're giving up video and it doesn't sound like you reallyare in this for the "photography" so much as you just want the pictures.

A film SLR I think is a poor solution. Again no video and no good reason to use film. More expensiveto use and you can't view your results then and there and make adjustments. So really a very pooroption.

A "bridge" camera is going to be more expensive - about $500 or so. I'm not up on the current bridge cameras so I can't comment on whether you should get one for your purposes. I AM a sports shooter (I use a DSLR) and for your stated budget (<$300) I think the S3 will work as well as anything out there. And the best part is: you are already happy with what the s-3 produces. That is usually my advice to anyone wanting to buy a camera - look for picture/video evidence using the camera for what you want to use it for. You've seen results from the S3 and they meet your standards and the S3 meets your budget so it sounds like a no-brainer.

If you were into more serious photography aspects of the sport then yes a DSLR would be the right choice. But then you're talking about a whole other budget category - around $500 without a good lens. Additional several hundred to get a decent lens to shoot the sport you're interested in shooting. And you have to give up the video. Doesn't sound like that's the route you want to go.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote