Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 30, 2007, 10:33 AM   #21

At regular ISO settings (that is, 400 or lower) noise is hard to find in any dSLR. Higher pixel density does result in higher levels of noise, but it only becomes noticeable at ISO settings of 800 or higher. Also, DSLRs have a much lower pixel density than P&S digicams, and so are less prone to noise. If you'll be in good light use flash, or use a large aperture lens,alone or in combination, you can keep the ISO down to avoid noise, whichever camera you choose.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2007, 2:06 PM   #22

You still have your Pentax ME Super? My first SLR was an ME and I used it up until the film advance died. I was too sentimental to get rid of my old Pentax equipment when I bought a Sony F717 (my first digital camera) - something I'm very grateful for. I'm now using all my old manual lenses on my K100 and K10. They are still good lenses and it saved me money. I think you should give the K100 Super a close look along with the Oly. I've handed my K100 to my non-camera owning hubby, told him how to turn it on, how to operate the zoom lens and he took some very nice pictures with it. Your wife wouldn't have any trouble with it, and it has enough controls for you to play with. Both the Oly and the Pentax are capable cameras and your choice should depend on which one feels better to both of you.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2007, 5:48 PM   #23

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
You still have your Pentax ME Super? My first SLR was an ME and I used it up until the film advance died. I was too sentimental to get rid of my old Pentax equipment when I bought a Sony F717 (my first digital camera) - something I'm very grateful for. I'm now using all my old manual lenses on my K100 and K10. They are still good lenses and it saved me money. I think you should give the K100 Super a close look along with the Oly. I've handed my K100 to my non-camera owning hubby, told him how to turn it on, how to operate the zoom lens and he took some very nice pictures with it. Your wife wouldn't have any trouble with it, and it has enough controls for you to play with. Both the Oly and the Pentax are capable cameras and your choice should depend on which one feels better to both of you.
Yep, and it still works like the day I bought it. Even the power winder still whirrrs away, Though I do remember having to do some work on the film advance some 15 or more years ago. About a year and a half ago I took some shots with it at a friends daughters graduation party.

My wife andIdid extensive test driving of a lot of cameras yesterday and today. I even took along an SD and CF card I had laying around, took some test shots, and loaded them into my computer at home. They even let us take a few outside.All things considered, for way too many reasons to list here,for usour choice ended up being the K100....UNTIL.......

For some unknown reason I picked up a Canon 40D. I put in my CF card and started shooting. Then I took it outside and took some shots that included a bright sky. WOW. Now I realize we are talking twice as much money, and it is a lot bigger, but my wife loved it. She really surprised me, and she loved the large screen for viewing her shots. I love to do macro, so I took some macro shots. That big screen and live preview is great for that. The only thing I don't like about it is that stupid little button joystick that I have a hard time keeping from triggering the "select" switch when I really want to move left. A minor issue.

I realize wewould beover buying our current abilities. However, I have been a 35+ year enthusiast, (I was one of the photographers for our newspaper / yearbook in High School, and also in college), and my wife, though much younger than I, has a better eye for composition. But, we can afford it, the difference in money is not a big stretch for us given how much more we both liked the features and the results with the 40D.

So, although I still have not pulled the trigger, I think this is the way we are going to go. I still would enjoy and appreciate any and all thoughts, as like I said we still have not made it final yet.
dmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2007, 6:08 PM   #24

dmiles wrote:
Quote:
So, although I still have not pulled the trigger, I think this is the way we are going to go. I still would enjoy and appreciate any and all thoughts, as like I said we still have not made it final yet.
If your wife likes it ...

BUY IT!

:-)
Old Dec 1, 2007, 6:30 PM   #25

TCav wrote:
Quote:
dmiles wrote:
Quote:
If your wife likes it ...

BUY IT!

:-)
Ah yes, spoken like a man who knows the secret to a happy marriage! :G

But seriously...is she a keeper or what?!
Old Dec 1, 2007, 6:42 PM   #26

dmiles wrote:
Quote:
Ah yes, spoken like a man who knows the secret to a happy marriage! :G
It's more 'conflict avoidance'. My wife may not like what I spend on photography, but she can't complain very much. She's got a horse.

dmiles wrote:
Quote:
But seriously...is she a keeper or what?!
True fact!

Old Dec 1, 2007, 7:17 PM   #27

Perhaps a sample photo would be useful. Here is photo taken with the Olympus E-410 using the Olympus 14-42mm kit lens. The exposure was F 3.5 at 1/13th using an ISO setting of 1600. I think it is a pretty creditable photo considering the lighting.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2007, 1:51 AM   #28

I should also add that another reason we have decided on the 40D is for use underwater. That large LCD along with live view looks like a great feature to use underwater. I also didn't see the shutter lag that I noticed with the E510 when using live view. But again, for twice as much money you tend to expect more. The 510 is quite amazing for the money.

Here's onethat I took in the Philippine Sea with my Canon A520 and an underwater housing. Unfortunately the A520 met its demise on that trip when I dropped it overbard. I recovered the camera, but the saltwater and my attempts to fix it were too much for it.

Anywho I hope to do much better very soon.

Attached Images