Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 2, 2007, 6:47 AM   #21
NHL

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
... problem because even low ISO photos look hugely oversharpened and full of artifacts. And because she posts shots from so many cameras it can't be the camera that is the problem.
I tend to do this too...

-> Instead of putting a copyright symbol (which I find rather tacky) - posting a picture(high-res) this way prevents it from being printed (or re-used in other manners...) :lol::-):G

BTW I also tend to agree with mtclimber "that the Olympus E-510 two lens kit is one of the very best DSLR buys in the market today", the other one being the 40D's similarly packaged two lenses kit... Theses oufits are so close in price to a good "Point&Shoot" that it makes them a no brainer in term of getting a higher image quality and ease of use.
-> In fact on what I've spent on other cameras and lenses already (and some of you guys too), the price is almost low enough on theses kits to make them an impulse purchase... Actually I'm quite tempted by theses deals every time I stop by a Costco!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2007, 8:54 AM   #22

NHL wrote:
Quote:
BTW I also tend to agree with mtclimber "that the Olympus E-510 two lens kit is one of the very best DSLR buys in the market today",
I would agree - as long as Oly system is a match for a given photographer's long term goals. You really get a lot for your money with this kit.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2007, 9:46 AM   #23

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
NHL wrote:
Quote:
BTW I also tend to agree with mtclimber "that the Olympus E-510 two lens kit is one of the very best DSLR buys in the market today",
I would agree - as long as Oly system is a match for a given photographer's long term goals. You really get a lot for your money with this kit.
Me too. But from my perspective, it would give me two lenses I wouldn't use, instead of just one.

My ideal E-510 kit would be the 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 and the 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5, maybe. ("Ideal" might be a stretch.)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2007, 10:04 PM   #24
NHL

Interesting data point from Amazon - After the first nine Canon Point+Shoots (another proof that P/S outsell dSLRs), here's the order of how the dSLRs stack up in term of sales: http://1001noisycameras.blogspot.com...ameras-at.html

1st Canon XTi (400D)
2nd Nikon D300
3rd Nikon D40
4th Canon XT (350D)
5th Nikon D40x
6th Oly E510
7th Nikon D80

-> The E510 is placed 6th, but the big surprise here is the D300 surpassing the D40 in sale... even though this camera (without lens) costs almost 4x times as much as the D40 with the kit lens !!!

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2007, 11:44 AM   #25

NHL wrote:
Quote:
but the big surprise here is the D300 surpassing the D40 in sale... even though this camera (without lens) costs almost 4x times as much as the D40 with the kit lens !!!
I guess a couple things come to mind. The website says it's a "snapshot" not long term data. But a snapshot of what sales figure? Sales that day? Sales for 30 days?

Any sales figure for a single day is a worthless analytic.

You're also talking about a camera (D300) that is new to market in the last couple weeks vs. a camera (D40) which is not new to the market. So yes I would expect units sold to outpace the D40 for a short period of time. I don't think that's a necessarily interesting metric. What IS interesting is comparing:

D300 first month sales vs. D40 first month sales.

D300 first quarter sales vs. D40 first quarter sales.

Of course, any comparison of the above has to take into account if there were any issues in the supply chain that would have hampered either camera's sell-thru during that period. I think it's relevant because at release time, Canon had a relatively new camera on the market.

BUT, I do think it also points out a continued trend: there is a HUGE market for high end DSLRs. Even with much publicized problems, sales of Canon's 1dmkIII were through the roof. I have no doubt the D300 will be a HUGE seller. The biggest question will be whehter or not Nikon has supply chain issues.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 2:15 PM   #26

(This is my first post so I'm not sure if this Quote-Reply will show up properly)

It appears (from observation) that Amazon uses some sort of a weighted average (or smoothing out) algorithm, but I do not know what time frames it uses or how it weighs things. That's why I refer to each one I do as a "snapshot", even though it may be include more than just hourly data in it. The Amazon page says these are updated hourly.

Now if one observes hundreds or thousands of these then one can start seeing patterns. For example, buyers on Amazon seem to buy more expensive cameras than the average buyer, and Canon cameras appear to sell better at Amazon than the market share of Canon in the USA market. (this paragraph is based on my observations, not published data).

(I was "trapped" in the gray quote box, so I moved the reply above the quote)

JohnG wrote:
Quote:

NHL wrote:
Quote:
but the big surprise here is the D300 surpassing the D40 in sale... even though this camera (without lens) costs almost 4x times as much as the D40 with the kit lens !!!
I guess a couple things come to mind. The website says it's a "snapshot" not long term data. But a snapshot of what sales figure? Sales that day? Sales for 30 days?

Any sales figure for a single day is a worthless analytic

1001noisycameras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2007, 3:51 PM   #27

I think you just validated my concern. Which is: you can't take the data figures you are publishing it and make claims about market behavior based upon them.

There aren't enough data points and you don't have a big enough data pool.

It's not unlike me saying I bought 2 lenses from company Y, one of them is defective. Therefore 50% of the lenses company Y sells are defective.

There is an inherent danger with confusing DATA with INFORMATION. So, while the data is interesting, it is not actionable information - i.e. you can't conclude much beyond:

for an unknown period of time, from this one vendor, model x sold more units than model y.

Drawing inferences from that data (with a lot of unkowns about what the data really means) is dangerous.

So to my point, you can't look at your page and draw the conclusion that "people are buying more D300s than D40s". That's all. It's not a knock on what you are doing jjust a warning for people on how they might misinterpret it.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 4:37 PM   #28

Yes, that's why I put the comment about them being "snapshots" and I post the note about "no long term data/conclusions" should be made based on just one instance.

The only conclusion that can be drawn from that post is that at some point in time Amazon listed camera X as #1, camera Y as #2, camera Z as #3, etc, as their best selling models.

If there's a better way to phrase it, please let me know. I tried different wordings, some longer, some shorter, but this one seemed to be the most concise.

I do this type of thing on a regular basis using a number of sources, it's intended as a fun way to look at what different people at different places are doing/buying/using, not a replacement for the Billboard/Soundscan or IDC/NDP market research reports. Which is why it costs $0 as opposed to $XX,000 per market research report

Old Dec 7, 2007, 2:19 AM   #29

Thank you all for the response. I finally bought a Samsung GX-1S. I saved at least C$400, if I have had tobuy D40x, Xti or E-510. The GX-1S was 50% off, coz the store had to clean up the old stock or something.

Of course, it's an entry level SLR, and only 6.1MP, but it's my first SLR. Maybe in a year or so, I'll switch to a greater SLR once I major the technic and stuff.

Thanks again
Dolce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2007, 12:06 PM   #30

Congratulations on your purchase! That camera opens up the door to a number of bargain-priced lenses!