Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 30, 2007, 9:47 AM   #1

My first DSLR is on the way. But the problem is, I have 3 cameras in mind, and the yare all about the same price. I'm going to use my camera for holidays, black and whites which I'm going to frame and hang them.

First Choice: Oly E-510.

Why? It is the cheapest among the three. The built in IS which is nice to have. Live view, of course.

But? I saw on Ebay, the lenses are limited, and are quite expensive

Second Choice: Nikon D40x.

Why? It's Nikon. Quite reputable for the name. Variety of VR lenses and cheaper than Oly E-510

But no built in IS or VR.

Third Choice: Canon Rebel XTi

Why? Again, it's Canon. Quite reputable for the name. I don't know if it has any IS or VR or any of that. Or even the VR lenses. But their lenses are quite expensive (from what I saw in Ebay)

Which of these three has better picture quality, user friendly, or.... even the better camera?

Thanks
Dolce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2007, 10:02 AM   #2

Dolce-

The Olympus E-510 is a very good choice. The two lens kit with the Zukio 14-42mm and the Zukio 40-150mm lenses is a wonderful value. Those two lenses cover an effective focal length of 28 to 300mm, in 35mm terms. I am using those two lenses with the E-410 and have been very pleased with the great quality of the lenses and the wonderful image quality.

However, please keep in mind that all of the consumer level DSLR cameras are excellent and very capable cameras, so it is difficult to make a bad choice. And yes everyone has their favorites.

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2007, 11:14 AM   #3

E-510 Advantages:
  • Smallest, lightest dSLR [/*]
  • Smallest, lightest lenses (for equivalent angles of view) [/*]
  • Sensor shift image stabilization (in the camera body, so it applies to all lenses) [/*]
  • Live View
E-510 Disadvantages:
[/*]
  • Smallest selection of lenses.
[/*]

[line]

D40XAdvantages:
  • Larger Selection of lenses than the E-510
[/*]
D40X Disadvantages:
  • No autofocus motor in the camera body, so most lenses for other Nikon dSLRs won't autofocus on the D40X [/*]
  • No image stabilization in the camera body [/*]
  • Some lenses contain optical image stabilization (VR) which makes them bigger, heavier and more expensive. [/*]
  • Smaller selection of lenses than XTi (especially autofocus lenses) [/*]
  • No Live View [/*]
  • Worst autofocus system for action shots
[/*]

[line]

XTi Advantages:
  • Largest selection of lenses [/*]
  • Best autofocus system for action shots
XTi Disadvantages:
[/*]
  • No image stabilization in the camera body [/*]
  • Some lenses contain optical image stabilization (IS) which makes them bigger, heavier and more expensive [/*]
  • No Live View
[/*]

[line]

While some Olympus lenses are very expensive, so are the equivalent lenses from Nikon and Canon that contain optical image stabilization.

For what you say you'll use a camera for, any of these will serve you well. Since you've already narrowed your choices to these, I think the most significant factor in your decision should be how the camerafeels to you. You should go to a store that has each of them, and try them. Whichever one feels the best, that should be the one you buy. If you can't find the menu options quickly, if your fingers don't naturally land on the controls, you will miss oportunities fumbling around with the camera.

And when you are in the store, and, with the help of a salesperson or two,decide which camera you want, buy it there.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2007, 11:28 AM   #4

I'm actually looking at the exact same 3...going for a test drive as soon as I can. Great info here!
dmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2007, 11:52 AM   #5

Remember that each of the dSLRs you're considering use a different size image sensor, so you can't compare the focal lengths of lenses directly.

The Nikon has an image sensor that is about 2/3 the size of a 35mm film exposure, the Canon's image sensor is about 5/8, and the Olympus' is abot 1/2. So a 100mm lens on the D40X would give an angle of view similiar to that of a 150mm lens on a 35mm film SLR, the XTi would have an angle of view equivalent to a 160m lens, and the E-510 would have an angle of view equivalent to a 200mm lens. This affect is referred to as the "Crop Factor", since the image sensor crops off a portion of the image that would appear on a 35mm film exposure. The crop factors are 1.5x, 1.6x, and 2.0x for the Nikon, Canon, and Olympus, respectively.

So an E-510 would only need a 75mm lens to have the same angle of view as a 100mm lens on the D40X. That's why the lenses for the E-510 are smaller and lighter than the lenses for the Canon and Nikon, for the same angle of view, even if you don't count the extra size and weight of the optical image stabilization in Canon's and Nikon's lenses.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 1:09 PM   #6

All good info. So what is the crop factor for the Pentax K10D? This cam isa bit more expensive I think but I am very impressed with that I have read about it. The only bad thing I see is that theimages (in JPEG) are a bit softer thanthe competition and I think the useability, IS, auto clean, and environment resistence is a great package. Dont have it yet though; need to find one and play for a bit. It is a bit heavier than the others.

I am concerned about the small view in the Olympus viewfinder otherwise it looks outstanding too.
xd11lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2007, 2:03 PM   #7

xd11lover wrote:
Quote:
All good info. So what is the crop factor for the Pentax K10D?

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2007, 2:06 PM   #8

xd11lover wrote:
Quote:
... So what is the crop factor for the Pentax K10D?...
Steve has posted the Crop Factors of the dSLRs he's reviewed here: http://www.steves-digicams.com/cameras_digpro.html

It shows teh Crop Factor of the K10D as 1.5.
Old Dec 1, 2007, 12:47 AM   #9

Thanks TCav.

For sure I already tested Olympus E-510, so did the D40x. I feel that E-510 sticks comfortablyin my hand.

I see that E-510 lenses are shorter mm than the others, because of its image sensor? Without your explanation TCav, I'd have never thought that the others (lenses) are in favors for Canon and Nikon, greater mm.Thanks again.

What I need to test drive is XTi. Whether it will fit comfortably or not in my palm.

I was also looking at the K10D, but it's more expensive. I don't want to spend more coz it's gonna be my first DSLR.

What about Sony A100? (Ohhh sorry, I have 3 choices already, but a bit info about the fourth one is OK too I guess)
Dolce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2007, 7:30 AM   #10
NHL

Dolce wrote:
Quote:
I see that E-510 lenses are shorter mm than the others, because of its image sensor? Without your explanation TCav, I'd have never thought that the others (lenses) are in favors for Canon and Nikon, greater mm.Thanks again.
I would take exception to the E-510 having the smallest selection of lenses:
It's the lenses that you need which are critical - Remember the 3/4 system is new (and not counting all the lenses that other manufacturers put out over decades that no one seems to use anymore): http://www.4-3system.com/modules/lenses/

-> As far as I can tell the 3/4 system have some of the fastest lenses not available anywhere else, and even some Leica. If you want a small and lightweight system the Oly is the way to go - This is a significant advantage that no one seems to discuss especially at the longer telephoto range:

Can anyone get a Canon or Nikon mounted 70-200 f/2 for example? How about a 180-500 f/2.8 or may be a 600mm f/2.8 equivalent?
Of course not ... and if they do, you certainly can not carry them !!! :idea:

-> This is my dream lens on a Canon or Nikon: http://www.4-3system.com/modules/lenses/lens.php?id=39
I would kill for this kind of reach (600-1600mm equivalent) on an image stabilized Oly nonetheless...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote