Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 2, 2007, 2:31 PM   #11

Thanks to all. Some of the info posted by the technocrats is too detailed and hair splitting for those of us that just want to go out and shoot great pictures. So Iwill accept that the quality of the shots I take will be more dependent on my creative abilities, subject matter, and use of the camera settings and NOT the slight nuances of the camera's physical and software biases.

Theoptions are great for a DSLR with Body IS, RAW+JPEG mode, and Dust Reduction.

Looks like the choice for me really is:

Olympus 510 -Great feel for my hand, live view when I want it,lower cost.

Pentax K10D -Great feel albeit a bit heavier,positive sealing, and the mode dial on the left was actually easier to use than on the right side as the others have it.

Justwhen I thought I could figure this out the local salesguy threw in a wildcard I had notreally considered - The Sony A100. By my read the feature set is great too, and it really felt good in my hand. The pointI have to consider -- myold perfect condition manual focus Minolta lenses -- an f1.7 50mm and an f2.0 24mm.Might be nice to have but with the 2-3 stop advantage that IS gives, maybe not as valuable as the salesman might say. Its lighter than the K10D and I liked the feel even better than the 510; I guess I will need another trip to the store.

xd11lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2007, 3:31 PM   #12

xd11lover wrote:
Quote:
Justwhen I thought I could figure this out the local salesguy threw in a wildcard I had notreally considered - The Sony A100. By my read the feature set is great too, and it really felt good in my hand. The pointI have to consider -- myold perfect condition manual focus Minolta lenses -- an f1.7 50mm and an f2.0 24mm.Might be nice to have but with the 2-3 stop advantage that IS gives, maybe not as valuable as the salesman might say. Its lighter than the K10D and I liked the feel even better than the 510; I guess I will need another trip to the store.

I know what you are saying, I've been in the same boat for the past 2 weeks.
dmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2007, 3:45 PM   #13

xd11lover wrote:
Quote:
... Iwill accept that the quality of the shots I take will be more dependent on my creative abilities, subject matter, and use of the camera settings and NOT the slight nuances of the camera's physical and software biases.
Well said!

xd11lover wrote:
Quote:
First,your old manual focus lenses won't work with it. Only Minolta Maxxum AF lenses willwork with the Sony A100. But there is a significant quantity of used Maxxum lenses availableon the market, some of which are very good and very reasonably priced. (See http://www.keh.com )

Second, the K10D has a better selection of lenses (except telephoto lenses)(and used lenses)than the A100, which has a better selection of lenses than the E-510. With dSLRs, the choice of available lenses is important.

It seems you've decided which ones feel better than others. I think the only thing left is to see if your favorite has the lenses to do what you want. If it doesn't, you need to look closer at your second choice, etc.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote