Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 1, 2007, 2:04 PM   #1

Hello again

I'm back again needing some more help concering my digital cameras. (I think I'm becoming a camera freak )

Last summer thanks to you I happily bought the Kodak Z612.

Now I am thinking about replacing my old Ixus55 against something new, because I still need a small cam to take with me and I don't like that pictures taken with my Ixuswithout flash are always unsharp.
But I am confused, because someone told me, It'd be better to keep my 55 instead of buying a new one, because those would be worse. IS THAT TRUE?? I cannot imagine that!

I saw that Canon has some really interessting new Ixus available.
Does anyone know how good these are? I thought about the Ixus 860IS, 950IS or 960IS.

I really like that they have IS and the 950 a 4x zoom.
OR do you recommend any other model from another producer? for me it's just important to have SD cards.

Thx in advance!!!

Nies07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2007, 2:51 PM   #2
Administrator

Nies07 wrote:
Quote:
Now I am thinking about replacing my old Ixus55 against something new, because I still need a small cam to take with me and I don't like that pictures taken with my Ixuswithout flash are always unsharp.
The vast majority of cameras are going to have photos that are not sharp if you don't use a flash in low light (and indoors to a camera is low light).

That's because the camera needs to keep the shutter open long enough to expose the image, and you'll see motion blur from subject movement and/or blur from camera shake indoors without a flash using most cameras. ;=)

If you want to do significantly better for non-stationary subjects in low light without a flash, you'll need a DSLR with a bright lens (not a kit lens).

If you are taking photos of still subjects versus people, then you may be able to get by with a camera that uses Image Stabilization instead.

But, your best bet is to use a flash for people in low light, unless you want to go with a DSLR and bright lens. Even then, a flash can be better, depending on how low the light is.

In a smaller camera that's better than most in low light, look at the Fuji F10, F20, F30, or F31fd models. They have higher usable ISO speeds compared to most non-DSLR models. But, you may still have to use a flash in many conditions with this type of camera to keep from getting motion blur.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2007, 4:07 PM   #3

this is so frustrating!

i have a good big cam with my kodak, now i wanted a small camera that is as good as this.

how can it be that all those praised cameras aren't usable at all?!
i mean, there are so many situations where you can't use flash...
so you also think the is won't make any difference? well then indeed i can keep my 55 :O

Nies07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2007, 4:26 PM   #4
Administrator

They're usable, if you use a flash and stay within the rated flash range if you're trying to shoot non-stationary subjects in low light. ;-)

If your subjects are still, that's one thing. Then, you can keep ISO speeds set lower and take advantage of stablization and/or a tripod.

But, if your subjects are moving, you'll need higher available ISO speeds (which is how sensitive the sensor is to light) and a brighter lens to get shutter speeds fast enough to help prevent blur from subject movement in less than optimum lighting.

Even a DSLR will have problems in low light without a flash unless you have a reasonably bright lens on it and use higher ISO speed settings, and even then, you may still need a flash in many conditions.

That's why you have a flash. ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote