Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 1, 2007, 3:03 PM   #1

First post here, I'm in the market for a DSLR and am looking to buy before the end of this year. Nothing too pricey as I am a beginner and would like to see if this is for me. I plan to shoot anything and everything if possible. Please keep recommendations to a $600.00 maximum. If this proves to be something I am good at and interested in, I will look into upgrading later. Thank you forall the help :G
FckShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2007, 4:08 PM   #2

Welcome to the forums!

There are lots of choices within your price range for a dSLR body and kit lens.

The Nikon D40 (6MP) with 18-55mm lens, Canon XT (8MP) or XTi (10MP) with 18-55mm lens,Olympus E-410 (10MP) with 14-42mm lens, and Pentax K100D (6MP) with 18-55mm lens all fall within your budget.

If you want to squeeze as much out of your $600 as possible, with as much room to grow as possible, I'd say the Canon XTi is the best choice. Since you don't know where your photography will take you, this gives you the most capabilities with the most room to grow. The kit lens is probably the least good of the kit lenses, but only slightly, and the Canons have more available lenses and accessories than any of the others.

Hope this helps.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2007, 5:08 PM   #3

So even though the kit lenses aren't As good as the others listed, they have more available if I so choose to persue this hobby?

Thanks, I'll look into all those models and do some of my own homework.

Any other input is welcome.
FckShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2007, 6:26 PM   #4

I've read that the Canon's kit lens isn't as good as the Pentax and Nikon lenses. I happen to have the Pentax and quite like it - if you decide to go Pentax I would recommend getting it since it is sold so inexpensively.

I wouldn't get too caught up with the number of megapixels - the 6 mp sensor in the Nikon D40and Pentax K100 (I've read its the same sensor though I have no way of verifying that) is excellent. I have no intention of selling my K100, and use it quite often.

One of the things that's nice about dSLR cameras is that the system can grow with you. I started out with the kit lens and a couple of 25 plus year old lenses from my film days. I've added other lenses as I've felt the need, making compromises where it seems sensible to do so and skipping things that just don't fit into my shooting style.

My suggestion is to go to a camera store and handle all of the "budget" dSLR cameras. Which one do you think you would carry most of the time? If you decide that the D40 feels the best to you, also consider what you ultimately think you want to do with photography - the D40 won't auto focus with all Nikon lenses at the moment. If you take pictures in good light most of the time, it probably wouldn't make a difference so I wouldn't rule it out unless you know that you really want a lens that won't focus with it, and really want AF (it's not that big of a thing for me - two of my favorite Pentax lenses are older, manual focus).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2007, 7:19 PM   #5

FckShoes wrote:
Quote:
So even though the kit lenses aren't As good as the others listed, they have more available if I so choose to persue this hobby?
I think I once referred to the Canon kit lens as "the least among equals" and I think that is a fitting description. It's not as good as the others, but not to the point where I wouldn't buy the camera becauseof it.

And I agree with mtngal that you should try them out, but since this may only be the first step in a much longer journey, you should try to be a little flexible.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote