Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 4, 2007, 10:12 AM   #1

Hi again. Still haven't made up my mind what to go for. I'm starting to swing towards the FZ18 which has got plenty of positive feedback on this forum..........but then i noticed the FZ250!

How much better is this than the FZ18, s5 etc.etc........ thanks, Andrew
cph.shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2007, 12:03 PM   #2

FZ250? Must be really new - hasn't even made the Panasonic web site yet. What do you know about it?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2007, 4:05 PM   #3

AAAAhhhhhhhhhhhh! Sorry spot of dysleixa. I meant FZ50.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 6:43 PM   #4

The FZ50 is a year older model, it's considerably larger, heavier, has a smaller zoom range, smaller LCD (not looking too good so far)...it does have a hot shoe..

I guess it all depends on what you're looking for in the way of features.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2007, 6:32 PM   #5

The FZ50 is on Steve's Best Cameras list: http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html.

There is a good reason the FZ50 is larger. It uses a larger sensor than the FZ8, FZ18, Canon S5, Kodak Z712/Z812, Sony H7/H8 and the Fuji S8000fd. These camera have the small 1/2.5 sensor (the Fuji's slightly larger at 1/2.35) which allow smaller, lighter cameras (and really higher zoom ratios) at the expense of higher noise, especially at higher ISOs.

The FZ50 uses a 1/1.8 sensor is large for a P&S although it's still not a large as the 1/1.6 sensor on the Fuji S6000fd and Fuji S9000fd which are also larger than other super-zooms.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2007, 8:34 PM   #6

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
The FZ50 is a year older model, it's considerably larger, heavier, has a smaller zoom range, smaller LCD (not looking too good so far)...it does have a hot shoe..

Yes, all of those, but don't kid yourself here...pick up a DSLR with a standard zoom lens. The FZ50 weighs less than that DSLR body with NO lens mounted. At18 months old,the FZ50 isstill over $100 more expensive than the new FZ18 because it's still a better camera, both in an ergonomic and image quality sense. In all the ways the specs really matter, it is a nicer camera to use. It is, literally, the closest thing to a DSLR you get in a camera that isn't.

Yes...it does have a hot shoe...a dedicated hot shoe. You won't be popping up that little flash on the FZ18 and getting this quality of light...

Now, lets go over otherthe things besides the flash performancestillBETTER about the FZ50...

The zoom mechanism of the FZ18 is very good, but the smooth manual zoom ring has it all over the FZ18. The finder of the FZ50, for glasses wearers like me, is much more desireable with the soft rubber surround vs. thehard plastic finder on the FZ18. The FZ50 accepts filters and accessory lenses with noneed for an adaptor ring. The FZ50 accepts Panasonic's DMW-LW55 wide lens that converts the wide end of the FZ50's lens to a wider-than-FZ18's 24mm equivalent...

The FZ50's LCD can be flipped out and down for low level shooting, or it can be stowed into the body, protecting it from being hit if you don't need to use it or want to just have added protection while the cameras in the bag.

There are still SEVERAL reasons why people choose to use an FZ50 over the FZ18. Newer is newer...not necessarily better.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2007, 3:29 AM   #7

very convincing, and good pictures!
wittetulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2007, 1:24 PM   #8

Thanks for the replies and the pictures, I really liked the ones in the halls.

I've asked around in a couple of shops over here and they look at me very strangely and say that it is antiquated! It looks like I could still get one on line and like you say it's still quite a lot more expensive than the FZ18, so there must be something good about it.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 2:09 PM   #9

cph.shots wrote:
Quote:

I've asked around in a couple of shops over here and they look at me very strangely and say that it is antiquated!
This is about what I would expect from someone in a camera shop.

It doesn't have face detection technology. It doesn't have an 18x zoom lens on it, it wasn't introduced in 2007, and more importantly, most of their profit is now discounted since it no longer sells for close to $600 (here in the US)like it did when first introduced.

Nine months from now they'll look at youstrangely if you ask about the FZ18.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2007, 3:07 PM   #10

It is too bad that shops have that attitude. Can they tell you why it is outdated? Perhaps the sensor is too large for their taste!
richwolf is offline   Reply With Quote