Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 4, 2007, 10:09 AM   #1

I would love to hear from everyone out there...

General use with alot of Macro use...

Olympus or Canon?:?
mac077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2007, 10:25 AM   #2
Administrator

What kind of macro (subject type)? What kind of camera (compact, ultra zoom, dSLR)?

What kind of lenses if a DSLR (dedicated Macro)?

Why just Canon and Olympus? You've also got Sony, Pentax, Nikon and more.

What kind of budget?

You'll get better responses from forum members with more information other than " General use with alot of Macro use..."

A good place to start your search would be Steve's Best Cameras List, where you'll find models deemed to be a good value within their market niche.

Make sure to read the review conclusion sections (last page before the sample images in each review). That's where you'll see comments on things like image quality in differerent conditions.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2007, 10:39 AM   #3
Administrator

Oops. My bad. I didn't see this part in the subject lines:

"Oly E-510 vs Canon XTi"

They both have their pros and cons.

One advantage of the in body based stablization in the Olympus model would be that you could stop down the aperture more (smaller apertures, represented by higher f/stop numbers), for greater depth of field in more lighting condtions without using a tripod for Macros.

You'll get slower shutter speeds for any given lighting and ISO speed if you use a smaller aperture for more depth of field. So, stabilization could come in handy if you're not using a stabilized lens.

I'd give more information on what you want to take photos of and your desired budget for best responses from members. You may or may not need a dedicated macro lens.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2007, 12:12 PM   #4
Super Moderator

I would be inclined to say the Oly 510 with the Sigma 150 f2.8 Macro.

Though of course the XTi with the 180 f3.5 L would give about the same working distance.

It's a bit like saying "I'm a learner driver - should I get a BMW or a Lexus?"

Choose the one you like. Both are plenty good.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2007, 2:16 PM   #5

You'll not likely find many people who are qualified enough to comment on both cameras..very few own both or would have used both of them enough to make accurate comparisons. In any poll like this, you could probably expect the Canon to come out ahead as they have the bigger user base.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2007, 8:41 AM   #6

while it's true that canon has a larger user base, there may be some reasons for that. oly has a smaller sensor, and that can make for more noise in lower light situations. the olys i tried out in the stores before i bought my 30D had smaller view finders and were lighter, while i prefer a little more weight to help steady my hand. they also felt plastic-y, although that wouldn't have been a dealbreaker for me if everything else had been equal.

on the other hand, olys give a lot of bang for the buck and their 2-lens covers a lot of territory. also for those looking for something very light, some of the olys would really fit that bill.

i've seen excellent macros shot with both brands of camera.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2007, 9:08 AM   #7
NHL

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
I would be inclined to say the Oly 510 with the Sigma 150 f2.8 Macro.
I would agree with that - where else can you find an image stabilized and somewhat "best" macro lens around with an equivalent FOV of a 300mm f/2.8 (i.e. no where)?

-> On the other hand if you want a 150mm on the 2x cropped image stabilized Oly - This is another excellent Macro: http://www.popphoto.com/cameralenses...-macro-af.html
"This is probably the sharpest lens in the current Sigma lineup. SQF numbers showed sharpness and contrast in the Excellent range, with noticeably better performance, especially at higher magnification, than, for example, Canon's recently tested (and superb) 60mm EF-S 1:1 lens. In fact, the Sigma is one of only a handful of lenses today that pulls down SQF numbers within the 90th percentile all the way out to our maximum magnification (20x24 inches)"

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
You'll not likely find many people who are qualified enough to comment on both cameras..very few own both or would have used both of them enough to make accurate comparisons. In any poll like this, you could probably expect the Canon to come out ahead as they have the bigger user base.
I wouldn't sell short on the Nikon either: (see the poll results) :-)
http://www.news.com/8301-13580_3-982...g=2547-1_3-0-5

... and how about this: :blah:
http://www.news.com/8301-13580_3-9768037-39.html

NHL is online now   Reply With Quote