Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 4, 2007, 8:27 PM   #1

I was looking for a 10MP cameras since a few weeks - more on Olympus E-510, Xti, or N40x. They would cost me betwen C$650 - $800. Then today, I saw Samsung GX-1S aka Pentax *ist DS2 on sale.

It's C$298.88 + taxes (was C$599). I'm wondering if it's a good camera, regarding its 6.1MP; and it's gonna be my first DSLR. I'm gonna use it for holidays, macro, city view (daytime, nighttime), portraits. Nothing too fancy. So, I'd save about $300; so does my Megapixels!

What's the biggest size photo I could print (RAW and JPG) on a 6.1MP camera? The guy at the store said that JPG on GX-1S is weak compare to Nikon D40. But Raw is almost the same. Is that true?

But for C$299 (C$340 taxes in); I can't go any wrong with a D-SLR I guess? If the response is positive, I'd go get it tomorrow before it's sold out!

Thanks

Dolce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2007, 8:51 PM   #2

my husband has one, and we love it! for indoor shots, it does better than my canon 30D. the raws are very nice, actually - 22 bit, i think, and sharp and well saturated compared to his 20D and my 30D.

the camera is light, but the batteries help to give it weight, and it has a nice, steady feel (i'm quoting him, but i also liked how it felt).

the one possible catch is that pentax doesn't make as many zoom lenses as other companies, but there are some and for primes, they rock. also if you're getting the kit lens, it's a lot sharper than other kit lenses i've seen.

hey, what store has this deal? i'd love to pick one up for my son.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2007, 9:19 PM   #3

For $299, it's a bargain. I had the Pentax *ist DS and liked it. I would not hesitate at all. Go down there and get one. Using it will teach you a lot, and then you will know more of what you want in your 2nd camera.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2007, 2:15 AM   #4

pcake wrote:
Quote:
the one possible catch is that pentax doesn't make as many zoom lenses as other companies, but there are some and for primes, they rock. also if you're getting the kit lens, it's a lot sharper than other kit lenses i've seen.

hey, what store has this deal? i'd love to pick one up for my son.
I'm not so worried about the lenses. I may get 2 more lenses : Macro and telephoto; depending on things I'm gonna shoot for the next few months. Anyway, it's winter, I can't shoot much for now. I'm happy with what it comes with; the standard 18-55mm. So, that'll do for the time being.

Where you at? Not sure if I could shout out the name of the store in here, or can I? LOL... If not, page me pcake, I'll tell you where.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 2:21 AM   #5

robbo wrote:
Quote:
For $299, it's a bargain. I had the Pentax *ist DS and liked it. I would not hesitate at all. Go down there and get one. Using it will teach you a lot, and then you will know more of what you want in your 2nd camera.
Thank you robbo. I think that's the best thing to do : "... Using it will teach you a lot, and then you will know more of what you want in your 2nd camera" --ยป That's the best advice I've heard.

For $299, nothing can go wrong! And it's Pentax. A DSLR for the price of P&S. That's what my friend told me too.

Old Dec 5, 2007, 9:32 AM   #6

i'm in los angeles. please pm me the store if you don't mind. hope you get yours!
Old Dec 5, 2007, 11:03 AM   #7

It'sa local store. And I'm in Montreal, Canada. I guess you didn't see C$ price sign on my posts.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 4:03 AM   #8

aw, well...

so - did you get it?!
Old Dec 6, 2007, 10:54 AM   #9

I had the Pentax DS and loved it. I'm sorry that I sold it when I got the K10 because it's lighter than the K100. It doesn't have image stabilization, like the later Pentax K series, but I found that as long as I kept my shutter speeds up, I was reasonably reliable up to 200mm focal length. I hope you jumped on the deal - my local Los Angeles camera store has a DS2 for sale but I think it's not below $500. I've never printed anything larger than 8 x 10 (haven't wanted to), and I've had excellent results at that size.

There are all kinds of macros available for it - some new, some old etc. As far as telephoto - it depends on how long and fast you want to go, as well as features.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2007, 4:37 PM   #10

I got it yesterday. I'm playing around with it, and really like it. The thing is, I'm with mac, and the digimax master is for PC only. Can anyone tell me where to download Digimax master for mac? I did search, but found nothing.

So right now, I'm using Olympus Master 2, which I thought is OK. I read that Digimax Master has a lot less function compares any other softwares. Is that so?