Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 8, 2007, 3:45 PM   #1

I need to buy a camera for shooting pictures of jewelry. I don't have alot of money for this so I thought to go with a point and shoot with a strong macro mode or a used camera if i can find one. I'm not sure of a camera that need lenses since the lenses can be pricey.

A couple of questions. Can a point and shoot do a good job? I have been told to look for macro mode, white balance and RAW format. I would like to get some feedback. I will more than likely be using the photos for the Web and for for printing of sales materials. A good pic I may use to get me into shows. Also what is "super macro" mode? Is it useful for me?

I have also read something about screwing on in reverse a 50mm lens onto a Canon A70. Is this true? And is that info up to date?

thanks in advance
NHnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2007, 11:06 PM   #2

A common addition to most P&S digicams is close-up lenses which will screw on to the threads on the lens. These will often give you what you're looking for, so long as the subject is adequately illuminated.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2007, 11:39 PM   #3

well, if you goto this link,all I can say for sure is that the S5 IS Macro Images look pretty incredible:

http://flickr.com/search/groups/?q=m...N23&m=pool
Xmasshopping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 12:37 AM   #4

check out this image,just the super macro without any additional lenses:

http://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/1009263736/
Old Dec 9, 2007, 12:50 AM   #5

I'm a n00b but, I catch on fast and know what quality is.
basically, I've tested every high end point and shoot out. Unless you wanna blow up pics to a poster and just want pics of close up jewlery. yes a point and shoot will work.
every camera I tested would make you happy on it I think.
canon s3 and s5
panasonic fz18
fuji s8000fd

My only problem with going to slr is lenses. yes they work great. they are big and bulky not for me but, not a problem. the problem is lens price. I know you get what you pay for and all but, WOW. if you want good pics you can do it now with digital point and shoots. but, if you don't want good to great then you might need to goto phenomenal. and raise up and spend 2000 dollars on a slr set up.

if I'm wrong correct me I like learning
hercules71185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 9:39 AM   #6

Thank you all. I am continuing my research into your suggestions. One concern was the S5 IS did not have RAW and it was suggested as being helpful but the super macro looks really great. To get that will I miss the fact it doesn't have the RAW?. Since I haven't actually worked with anything but JPEG I have yet to appreciate the RAW format. I think is my case I need the super macro more than the RAW, what do you think?

As Hercules says I want to do this without spending a huge amount of $$ so I'm going to look at the point and shoot some more.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 6:10 PM   #7

I've searched the entire web it feels like trying to figure out why people justify the raw over jpeg. All I seem to find is people saying why jpeg is better than raw.. Kinda weird. Anyone have experience with raw? I get my camera wednesday the fz18 hopefully its good. I will do the thing no one else seems to do. Take the pics and post online the 2 versions of pics. unedited then edited. in full size
hercules71185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 9:08 PM   #8

raw is all about post editing. It allows you to maintain maximum detail and use your own noise suppresion etc etc photoshopping. Thus, to post unedited versions of the two would not bee TOO useful, but feel free!
Old Dec 9, 2007, 10:28 PM   #9

The more I look I think it is between the Canon S3/S5 or the Panasonic FZ8 Or FZ18.

Differences between Canons seems to be slight, mostly price but they do give super macro mode, but battery life so so.

The Panasonic does give RAW as well as better lens quality and some comparisons make them look pretty good for the dollar.

Mostly I'll be looking for jewelry shots of items 1" diameter approx. but I need good color rendering as well.

Anyone want to throw in their .02?
Old Dec 9, 2007, 11:27 PM   #10

where did you get the idea that the s3 s5 is soso battery life?

and why exactly are you so caught up on raw when what you need is good macro?