Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 8, 2007, 11:37 PM   #1

The FZ18 is obviously a good choice against all the other 18X cameras but based on image quality alone, which would be better between the FZ18 and the TZ3? For example, dynamic range, etc.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2007, 11:57 PM   #2

someone please reply to this I wanna see the answer. From my camera testing month of my life. I think personally the fz18 took great pics overall. I wanted a camera to take great pics and another for my long zoom. I just ordered 1 the dmc-fz18. much better than expected. I took my girl to the store where it was. (I ordered it online tho) along with my sd card. Got permission to play. So while I was there I decided to compare their lines of cameras on my home made photo tests. and for quality, I used my gfs jewlery. took some close ups. When I got home I tested loaded the images on my comp with all the cameras written down and put them in order for the top 5 so I could see what I wanted to get. I made a sheet of what camera I took the pics and how many in the order I did.
the panasonic fz18 was top chart. and the tz3 was up there just not as high. I was wanting the best pic quality for one camera and the best zoom/quality that it had and they would be my new toys. the fz18 topped both my charts. the tz3 from my pic tests was high but, it was not the top 10
But, for a better environment and real life tests I want to see the results.
I THINK the fz18 will be better and I hear complaints on the vibrance of the fz18.. ummm it was the best true color I saw. weird.
sorry for the rant I got my last set of wisdom teeth out and now I'm slightly out of it.
hercules71185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 12:45 AM   #3

With the RAW option, the FZ18 offers the best chance to absolutely maximize dynamic range.

Given you being careful in setting the exposure on both cameras, I would think out-of-camera JPEG's are going to be close between the two, but with the FZ18 you can customize all the parameters according to your taste, where with the TZ3 youare stuck with three sets of hard-coded (color)parameters, and JPEG's (at least, the one's I'vetaken)almost always require some amount of post processing to maximize the results.

I have an FZ8 and find myself needing to do less work on those JPEG's than on the TZ3, which I also have, and from what I've seen the FZ18 is definitely a worthy upgrade to the FZ8, but with any of these small-sensored cameras, the results of individual users will depend heavily on watching the histogram before you press the shutter release, using exposure compensation when it looks like there's clipping of highlightsgoing on.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 12:53 AM   #4

I think the big thing with the quality with the cameras was the Manual capabilities. Other than that just the vibrance was better in the fz18. Its a flawed test I know but, still its the only thing I had at the time. I live in a place where there is a walmart. no best buy not ONE store like that, Not one toy store. Not ONE sports equipment store. 2 grocery stores and 5 stoplights in the entire town.
I'm from dallas, west palm beach jacksonville and miami. I've spent a great deal of time in all of them. This place sucks. But, school is free. So while visiting a place in j ville I did all these tests. I wish I had freedom to test all cameras in 1 spot with 1 lighting and a tripod for no flaws. But, I didn't. I think my methods are 90% accurate on what was a better camera. But, its not perfect
Old Dec 10, 2007, 7:45 PM   #5

Thanks for the help but I think the person is going to end up keeping the TZ3 and although it only would have cost 50 bucks more at B&H for the FZ18, at least that person got a free printer with the TZ3. It's also a lot more portable and since he/she never used a digital camera before, the benefits of RAW wont be that important. If it was for me, I'd get the FZ18 but I'd be better off spending the extra cash for the Sanyo HD1000.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 7:46 PM   #6

just for everyones info I got ripped and no one else should from any google ads!!! NEVER NEVER NEVER get something off a click add off google. Expecially lowpricedigital.com the only legit thing they post is amazon. Just to beat the price and scam you. Check all your stores with resellerratings.com
Old Dec 11, 2007, 8:52 AM   #7

hercules71185 wrote:
Quote:
just for everyones info I got ripped and no one else should from any google ads!!! NEVER NEVER NEVER get something off a click add off google. Expecially lowpricedigital.com the only legit thing they post is amazon. Just to beat the price and scam you. Check all your stores with resellerratings.com
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Your "lesson learned" is good advice to all. In that general vein prices that sound to good to be true generally are to good to be true.

A. C.

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2007, 9:58 PM   #8

My CC company caught them blocked my amount spent. And not only reimbursed me but, paid for the initial purchase!! HAHA YES GREAT NEWS Now I can spend the money I woulda on there for something more important.. not sure what I could use tho.. maybe another video card for my comp the 8800gt is looking nice
altho since they only gave me what the company took. It didn't pay the entire camera fee. But, 250 of it is nice.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 10:01 PM   #9

After finally getting used to my camera. I'd have to say you won't complain about the fz18 overall image quality at all.. its impressive