Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 11, 2007, 9:00 AM   #11

Called a local shop rep that I 'know' and they said the Canon S5 was a great cam (pretty much what everyone here has said)... that is what I'm going to buy.
Will follow Steve's advise... get the rechargables, etc..

SD cards? Kingston is good, great, junk ... versus what? I see the review used Kingston so maybe I'll get an additional card.
MANY thanks to all for helping. Will place Canon order today. Wishing all a GREAT Christmas (if you celebrate) and if not, a GREAT HOLIDAY! Be safe!
Roamingdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2007, 9:26 AM   #12

Roamingdoc wrote:
Quote:
SD cards? Kingston is good, great, junk ... versus what?
Kingston has been a supplier of memory products/devices for a long time and generally has a good reputation. SanDisk and Lexar are also good brands. More important is to know the reputation of your dealer as cheap/bad knock-offs of all three brands abound on the internet. Besides dealer reputation watch for price, a price way lower than market is cause for suspicion.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2007, 6:16 PM   #13

Roaming,

I have the S5 and it's a great camera. To match a useful range of 36 to 432 mm in a dSLR will cost the earth, plus the S5 is an f/3.5 at the long end which is pretty quick at 400mm. The face detection in the Digi III is actually useful and the 1.6/2.0 teleconverter setting does not kill your images the way most digital zooms do. Or you can get a glass teleconverter/wideangle to add on.

If you can swing it, spend about $300.00 additional for a 430EX external flash ($225.00 at Amazon) which will pretty much let you stay below ISO 400, a lensmate adapter, and UV and linear polarizing filters. It won't be a dSLR, but forabout $600.00, it'sdarn close.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions I can help with. If you're interested in various S5 images, take a look at my Pbase site (http://www.pbase.com/johngalt_ny) , particularly the S5 test shots gallery.

Enjoy your S5.

JG

JohnGaltNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2007, 11:05 AM   #14

My S5 arrived and almost instantly we loved it. Fits our hands well. Is basically pretty easy to figure out (RTManual) and wife can 'use' it on auto. I do intend to get a 'flash' and some other items but 'this is Christmas' and we've grandchildren so some expenses will wait ;^)
Thanks to all. Your help was priceless and I like this camera very much. All have a Great Christmas or Holiday (whichever you celebrate). Take care. Back later.
Roamingdoc is offline   Reply With Quote