Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Which would you get?
Pentax K10D 3 60.00%
Nikon D80 1 20.00%
Other 1 20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 10, 2007, 3:58 PM   #1

I currently have a Canon Digital Rebel XT and am looking to upgrade. I am using the camera for mostly candid and portrait shots of my kids. I am leaning towards the Pentax because of the dust reduction and weatherproofing. For lenses I will be adding a 50mm and one zoom for now, probably 55 - 200mm. I am open for other camera suggestions if you think there is something to fit me better. I am new to this and want to be able to grow into the camera but I don't need overkill either. In January I am going to take a few classes to just help me get the real basics down. I did go to a camera shop locally and held them both, they were both comfortable to hold. I added the battery grip to the Pentax and loved that, they didn't have one for the Nikon so I didn't get to see how that one felt. Thanks so much for any help or suggestions!

Desiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2007, 5:11 PM   #2

Why not add a battery grip to your XT, and may be a couple of good lenses instead of changing a camera system? Is there anything wrong with your XT, or do you just want another system?
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 5:46 PM   #3

Yeah, what is your XT not doing for you?
David French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 10:09 PM   #4

I love my K10, and would happilychoose to buy it again,but I do wonder why you are changing systems. It gets expensive when you have to buy lenses all over again. What about buying an upgradedCanon body? I love having the weather proofing and the image stabilization with any lens, but don't think the dust reduction works very well - I do better with a hand air blower.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2007, 1:38 AM   #5
Super Moderator

The quality possible from the XT is very high indeed.

No disrespect intended, but chances are if you aren't satisfied with the pictures you are getting, simply changing brands isn't going to help you.

We need to know more about why you aren't satisfied with what you currently have.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2007, 12:09 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies. Well the Canon was the first DSLR I bought, I bought it on a whim without much research. Turned out to be a great camera. I have a 50mm f/1.8lens that I used 90% of the time over the kit lens. My pictures are about what I want them to be. Whatever is wrong with them I admit is user error and the new camera isn't going to fix that. I suppose I want to change because the Canon was the first I tried so I want to try something different. It is still under warranty so I figure if I sell now I will be able to make most of the money back. When I looked at the other cameras they just felt better in my handsand seemed better built. I also like the 11-pt AF over the 7 I have now. I alsoam hoping to improvethe continous shooting,right now with RAW I get about 4 - 5. Lenses are an issue as well. It seems like everytime I find a lens I want it is $600, $700, $1000. I know you can do that with every system but I hope to find a more happy medium if that makes sense.
Desiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2007, 12:47 PM   #7
Administrator

Desiree wrote:
Quote:
alsoam hoping to improvethe continous shooting,right now with RAW I get about 4 - 5.
Steve's performance tests shooting raw with a Nikon D80:
Quote:
When shooting NEF (RAW) images in single exposure mode, I was able to capture 7 NEF images at 1/2 second intervals, while subsequent shots with the full buffer came at 1 second intervals. In continuous drive mode, 7 NEF images were captured in 2.9 seconds, and subsequent shots could be taken at 1 second intervals. Impressively, it took less than 4 seconds for the D80 to flush its entire buffer of NEF images to the SD card. In RAW+JPEG/Fine mode the D80 captured 6 images in 2.5 seconds, with subsequent shots at 1.4 second intervals and the buffer flushing in 6 seconds. Unlike the D70s, the D80's RAW+JPEG image mode allows you to choose Basic, Normal, or Fine quality JPEG.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_...n_d80_pg8.html

Steve's performance tests shooting raw with a Pentax K10D:
Quote:
In RAW mode Pentax claims it can capture up to 9 images at 3.0 fps before the buffer is filled; we were able to achieve that with an ATP PRO MAX 4GB SDHC Class 6 card installed, but depth fell to 8 shots with either a Sandisk Ultra II 4GB SDHC or ULTRA 4GB SDHC Class 6 card. Buffer clearing time also varies with speed, the ATP taking 7 seconds versus 7.5 for the ULTRA and 10 seconds for the Sandisk. The interval between shots with a full buffer improved with card speed as well, the ATP at 9/10 second, ULTRA at 1 second and the Sandisk at 1.3 seconds.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_.../k10d_pg7.html

Quote:
Lenses are an issue as well. It seems like everytime I find a lens I want it is $600, $700, $1000. I know you can do that with every system but I hope to find a more happy medium if that makes sense.
The Nikon will have more lens choices if you want Autofocus Lenses compared to the Pentax.

The same thing would apply to a Canon model. You'd have more Autofocus Lens choices if you wanted to upgrade to a newer Canon model like the EOS-20D, EOS-30D or EOS-40D instead of a Nikon D80. You've got lots of Autofocus lens choices available for Nikon and Canon models.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2007, 1:23 PM   #8

JimC wrote:
Quote:
The Nikon will have more lens choices if you want Autofocus Lenses compared to the Pentax.

The same thing would apply to a Canon model. You'd have more Autofocus Lens choices if you wanted to upgrade to a newer Canon model like the EOS-20D, EOS-30D or EOS-40D instead of a Nikon D80. You've got lots of Autofocus lens choices available for Nikon and Canon models.
To all the other great advice contained herein, I will add that, when Canon and Nikon have similar lenses, the Canon always seems to be a few dollars cheaper. So if you want to stay away from brands withexpensive lenses, you probably are already with the best brand.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2007, 2:30 PM   #9
Super Moderator

It's certainly worth trying out a few cameras at the shop:

I suspect you've narrowed it down to the K10D and D80 because of price range, but it can't do any harm to look at the 40D, E510, A700 too.

After that possibly the best thing to do is to try to plan out your lens purchases over the next 2 years and consider what will give you the lowest system cost. Then start with just the body and a single lens. (Or if you decide to stay with Canon, then you could stick with your current body and get a new lens or two and upgrade the body later.)

I don't think you can really go wrong in the mid-market DSLR range; all the manufacturers are making some very fine equipment; for most purposes the differences between them are vanishingly small.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote