Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 11, 2007, 3:12 PM   #1
JLF

Should I buy Kodak or Fujifilm ormaybe other ? price shpuld be abot the same. Nicest thing would be some video sample taken by Fujifilm and some photos, with live colors. Hope for help.
JLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2007, 3:54 PM   #2

You need to tell us what your experience is (with photography), and what you want to take pictures of. The two cameras you mentioned are very different although similarly priced. I like sports photography, so I would probably pick the S5700. In general, Kodaks are known for being easy to use although many people shy away from them because of concerns about image quality or durability.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2007, 11:48 PM   #3
JLF

I'll use it for few things: party photography - I mean club/bar parties, family meatings, some art photography with my girl, also I would like to shot some videos durning the parties and family meating. So I need such samples of taht two cameras or other in near price.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 1:45 AM   #4

If you are doing lots of party photography, I assume that you want a camera that's good in low light. Otherwise, you want a camera with a powerful flash. I wish I could tell you to get a Fuji F31fd (as I could have about 6 months ago). However, that camera's no longer in production and now it costs an arm and a leg at various auction sites.

I myself was thinking about buying the Z1275 about 4 months ago. However, I ended up getting the Fuji F20. It's a point and shoot with mostly automatic settings, but it is very good in low light and it does do decent video, too. The closest thing to that now is the F40fd or F45fd, which can be gotten for about $200 onlinel

Even though I would probably pick the S5700 for my purposes, I think you might find a smaller, more pocketable camera easier to use for your purposes.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2007, 9:49 AM   #5
JLF

I'm waiting for more replays and proposition.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 2:44 PM   #6

It's hard to do a even handed comparison of the Z1275and the S5700 because they are widely disparate types even though they're both P&Ss but here are a few comments:

Video - Z1275, [email protected] (HD), [email protected], [email protected], mono sound; S5700, [email protected], [email protected], mono sound.

Indoor Factors:

ISO/Noise: The Z1275 uses a somewhat larger 1/1.72 sensor as compared to the S5700's 1/2.5 sensor but the Z1275 is 12MP vs. 7MP on the S5700. Net result, IMO is that ISO/Noise performance between the two cameras is a wash. The sensor on the S5700 is not Fuji's well regarded (for it's low light performance) SuperCCD.

Lens Speed - The Z1275's is f2.8 at WA, f5.1 at tele. The S5700's is f3.5 at WA, f3.7 at tele. Since most indoor party/family shoots are at WA, slight advantage to Kodak.

Flash - To get the same reach as the Z1275 (~6m) does at the Fuji need ISO 800, again slight advantage to the Kodak.

Other factors:

S5700 has an EVF besides the LCD and the Kodak doesn't, advantage Fuji IMO but others view this issue differently.

Fuji has a longer telephoto reach (380mm equiv. vs. 175mm) than the Z1275 but the Z1275 slightly wider (35mm equiv. vs. 38mm). Neither has optical image stabilization.

Steve has recently reviewed the Z1275 and has sample pics and clips within the review: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_...dak_z1275.html

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote