Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 12, 2007, 5:23 AM   #1

Great forum. I have been reading here for a long...very very impressed with replies and suggestions.
I have the Canon Powershot S2 IS camera for 2 years and I must say it can take great photos. Now thinking to move to DSLR world. after reviewing and considering budget I am just lost.

I will be taking mostly outdoor photos, would like to have good range telephoto lense, my hand is bit shaky, so I must use image stabilization, either in body or in lense, I can spend mostly 800$ for now. I was considering Pentaxt K100D with Tamron AF 18-250mm , but found out lense is as expensive as the body, and not sure how good the combination is.

For brand name and reputation, I prefer Canon, Nikon than Pentax. Would be nice if could carry one lense while travelling so I can cover most outdoor shots, panorama to long telephoto shot. that's why I considered Tamron AF 18-250 mm

Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks

Shalvi
Shalvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2007, 5:30 AM   #2

If you want the Tamron 18-250 AND image stabilization, Pentax and Sony are your choices. Canon and Nikon only offer image stabilization in some of their lenses, not in their camera bodies, and Tamron doesn't offer optical image stabilization in the 18-250. So no combination of a Canon or Nikon body and the Tamron 18-250 will give you image stabilization. Only Pentax and Sony dSLRs have image stabilization in the camera body, and can be connected to the Tamron 18-250.

BTW, the Tamron is available with a Sony nameplate that is reported to autofocus faster on Sony dSLRs than the generic Tamron.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2007, 5:56 AM   #3

Thanks TCav for such a quick reply. In comparison to Tamron 18-250mm do you haveany recommendation to get similar result? Other consideration is too that the DSLR can be carried easily, as I do travel a lot. I know there are so many options out there thatit's hard to decide!

Has anyone used here that combination Pentax K100 + Tamron 18-250mm ?
I really wanna get long range telephoto lense.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 6:18 AM   #4

Shalvi wrote:
Quote:
Thanks TCav for such a quick reply. In comparison to Tamron 18-250mm do you haveany recommendation to get similar result? Other consideration is too that the DSLR can be carried easily, as I do travel a lot. I know there are so many options out there thatit's hard to decide!

Has anyone used here that combination Pentax K100 + Tamron 18-250mm ?
I really wanna get long range telephoto lense.
Actually, the Tamron 18-250 is probably the best of the breed. You could try the Nikon 18-200 VR (I don't think Canon has a superzoom with IS.)

Also, I'm not a big fan of superzooms. They are always not as good as multiple lenses as far as sharpness and distortion is concerned.

Canons IS lenses and Nikon's VR lenses are also bigger, heavier and more expensive than the non-stabilized versions, so if cost, size and weight are a consideration, you should probably drop Canon and Nikon from your list of contenders.

On the other extreme is the Olympus E-510, which has sensor shift image stabilization in the body, a smaller, lighter body than any other brand, and, for equivalent angles of view, smaller, lighter lenses as well.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 8:06 AM   #5

Shalvi, I have no experience with the 18-250, but, like TCAV, I'm a little leery of anything with that broad of range.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"One alternative that you might consider that would get you in under budget and still give you image stabilization is the K00d with kit lens (with rebate right now about $ 400), then add the Tamron 70-300mm Di LD Macro zoom. This lens is currently $ 179.95 through Adorama and can sometimes be found cheaper. It is also sometimes packaged with the K100d in a two-lens package that can produce additional savings.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I bought the K10d in a similar package from Cametauctions in April. They will throw in a bunch of junk to make the packages look better, but the two-lens combo is a very useful one. Pentax makes a very good kit lens, and the 70-300mm from Tamron gives you good coverage out to 300mm, plus adds macro capability. It only leaves a 15mm gap from 18-300 with only one additional lens.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"My son shoots the k100d and loves it.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The only drawback I have found in the Pentax system is the lack of long, fast AF zooms, such as you would want for shooting sports under the lights.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I cannot speak to the offerings from Canon and Nikon because of lack of experience, but from what I've seen, you're going to be paying a lot more to get image stabilization with them.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2007, 1:54 PM   #6

There's a very readable review of this Tamron lens available at http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...on_18_250.htmlFWIW

tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2007, 9:51 PM   #7

A couple of people have posted shots taken with the Tamron and the K100 under the Pentax lens part of this board, and a few under the Pentax category. It looks like a reasonable alternative if you want just one lens, and one of the better one lens solutions (not usually a good thing - there are significant compromises for these types of lenses.

I wouldn't hesitate putting more money into a lens than I do a camera. Your lenses will outlive the camera body - I shoot Pentax (both the K10 and K100)and am happily using a couple of manual lenses that I bought over 25 years ago. Good lenses make a bigger difference to my pictures than the camera body does - the K100 with a good lens will always take a better picture than the K10 does with a poor lens on it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2007, 7:12 AM   #8

looks like I will go for Pentax K100, I guess it should be good start for dslr world, budget camera and more lenses available...also thinking not to go for 18-250mm as everyone here suggesting not to...

Can you guys suggest any lense for a first start...I would like to purchase the K100D body and add the first which will cover mostly telephoto with some extent wide angle for landscape , indoor photography...I've heard kit lenses are not too good...so would like to start with a descent one....any suggestion please?
Old Dec 13, 2007, 2:20 PM   #9

The selection of telephoto zoom lenses for the Pentax is small, but there are some good ones available. The Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro seems to be a good choice at about $220. There are some longer ones, some brighter ones, and some better ones, but they're all closer to $1000 a piece.

For landscapes, the kit lens might do, and might be able to work indoors with a flash. I, personally am not a big fan of flash, so I would opt for the Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 instead of the Pentax kit 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 lens.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 10:20 PM   #10

The kit lens is a pretty good one, and fine for outdoors. It's not very fast, but will do OK indoors with a fair amount of light, no motion and a steady hand (the in-camera anti-shake comes in handy). Sure there are better lenses out there (such as the Pentax DA*16-50mm 2.8) but the extra speed comes at a high price. I'd recommend getting the kit lens because it's so inexpensive - I'm still using mine quite often.

As far as something longer - I've seen excellent results with Pentax's 50-200 (often sold with the camera as a 2 lens set) as well as the Sigma 70-300 APO. There's a similar Tamron lens that some people have used and seem to like. I, personally, use the DA*50-135 2.8 lens and a 300 f4 prime lens, but that's a much more expensive set-up. It does depend on whether you want something bigger, heavier, and more expensive but also faster so it would be better indoors.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote