Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 22, 2007, 12:02 AM   #11

Thanks Wibblemore. That certainly makes me lean toward the FZ18. It is enough of a jump up from the s5200 that I can rationalize getting it, but not so far a leap that I think I'd just fall over.

Thanks to you as well, Photo 5 for your information. I think both the s9100 and the s6000 might be too difficult for me to handle. I like telling the camera what to do, but not all the time, and I'm afraid that sometimes it knows better what to do than I do.
If I don't go for the Panasonic I think I'd go for the Canon. So many people seem happy with its image quality that it's tempting. But I'm still impressed by that Leica long and wide lens.

Rags

rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 9:31 AM   #12

Hi Rags,

My sister's got her shots from her Pannasonic TZ3 up on Flikr; wew're trying to work out how to get mine up on there too. As soon as we have, if you're interested I'll post the address here so you can have a look.
Wibblemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 7:24 PM   #13

Thanks Wibblemore. I am very much interested in seeing your pictures.
Rags
Old Dec 23, 2007, 1:13 AM   #14

I have the S9100 and like it a lot. There is a full auto option that is easy enough for a novice, and it also will give you room to grow as a photographer. It has a 10.6x zoom, not as big as the Panasonic but still enough to pull in some close shots. Plus the higher the zoom rating the more likely a shot will be ruined by camera shake. You also might want to consider the fact that the CF cards from your old camera will still work in the new one. And I really like to be able to use off the shelf batteries. The Panasonic has it's own proprierary battery. So you'll have to stop taking photos when it's dead or buy an extra battery.

-TwiceWise
TwiceWise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2007, 11:07 AM   #15

Pluses for the FZ18 is the wide angle the big zoom the image stabalization and it's great lens.

The Fuji 6000fd is appealing with it's larger sensor but no true image stabalization.

If sensor size is the determining factor then you almost have to go with DSLR.

In spite of what some people say about the long zoom of the FZ18 not being needed or used, I suggest you go to the Panasonic board and hear otherwise.

I have a Panasonic FZ8 and use the 12 times zoom a lot.
richwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2007, 12:19 PM   #16

I´d like to buy a similar camera with super zoom, so i´m interesting on this opinions, I reallly like the canon 5IS, but no one talk about it....
if it is of any help, I post 2 photos taken with a Canon (P mode and low ISO), I think that its have better colors and sharpeness...
Attached Images

Anidc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2007, 6:23 PM   #17

the other
Attached Images

Old Dec 23, 2007, 7:26 PM   #18

First of all some new information about the blue banding on the Panasonic FZ18. Apparently it is a problem and Panasonic knows about it and is in the process of trying to create a fix for it. I think it only shows up on low light photos, so a lot of people don't initially notice it, but there is a way to test for it. If you want more information you can find it here:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=26135708
That hasn't turned me off the camera, but I do think I should wait until they have figured out how to fix it.

Thanks Twice Wise for your info about the Fuji S9100. I will revisit it, although, again, even though it does have a full auto mode, it sounds like it would be a better camera for someone with more experience than I. Right now, my Fuji takes regular batteries and my Kodak takes Li-ion battteries. The advantage of the proprietary batteries is that they are lighter--one battery instead of four. Some say they usually hold more pictures, though I have heard that debated. Of course, you can't just get replacements at any corner store they way you can regular batteries. But, bottom line for me is the camera as a whole. Neither the batteries or the memory card type (Fuji using the much criticised xd card) is a deal breaker for me.

Thank you for your help richwolf. And I agree with you about the zoom lens. My Kodak has only 4x zoom and I badly missed my Fuji when it was in being fixed. There were just so many pictures that were either missed or hohum because I could not get close enough. I'm pretty sure 12x would be enough but the combo of that wide angle as well as the long zoom is what keeps bringing me back the the FZ18.For landscapes and animals it just seems great. My main concerns about the FZ18 are comments from most of the reviews on the noise reduction producing much lowered IQ and the problem of the blue banding. As I said, the pictures I've seen from the Fz18 look wonderful to me, but perhaps that is because they are from such good photographers. As for dslr I'm really not interested. Even my Fuji was often too much to carry around and I have neither the sophistication or the $ to take on DSLR. Any of the cameras I have been looking at I think will be good enough for my level of ability.

Thanks for your photos Anidc. These are from a Canon S5IS? They do look like they have nicely saturated color and are quite crisp. I'm interested in the Canon. It does have good IQ. But it doesn't have either the 28mm or the 18x zoom nor is it as good (from what I've read in reviews and people's comments) in low light situations as either the Fuji s6000 or the Panasonic FZ18. Fuji is the leader in low light from what I've read, but I have heard that the Canon is particularly not good with low light.
Rags

Old Dec 23, 2007, 8:47 PM   #19

The photos were taken with and a little old Canon A85, so I expect that with the 5S I can get better photos. I´m looking for a super zoom one too and I read that the disadvantage of the canon is the noise at high ISO (>800), but I don`t have problems with mi actual Canon in low light conditions it got an orange light that helps to focus in the dark, takes a few seconds, but it take better photos than the Olimpus or Nikon in that conditions. I´d like The Canon 5 IS and I´m familiarize with the menu, so I think that it is mi best option, but the FZ18 is the other that I could buy.
I´d like more suggestions
Old Dec 30, 2007, 9:47 PM   #20

Thanks to all who gave me advice. I have just ordered the Panasonic FZ18 from B&H. Wish me luck.
I was tempted by the Canon s5IS. It looks easier to use, has a hot shoe and takes good quality pictures, but I really wanted the wide angle lens. I have a feeling the Panasonic will teach me a lot.
Rags