Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 19, 2007, 12:47 AM   #1

this is what I'm looking for:

*Macro close ups with image stabilization (I mean, REALLY close up)

* Use shots in color, B/W and sepia (or any extra bells and whistles)

* At least 7.0 MP with 2.5 LCD (or greater) viewer

*Movie shots is a must

*no proprietery memory cards and have rechargable battery

* Dont want any Canon brand.....heard a lot of people were complaining about the E18 error that keeps cropping up in ANY Canon cameras.

*price range would be at least $130 to $175

*if I want to buy one, would Best Buy be the best place to get cameras there?

I'm leaning more on Pansonic Lumix DMC-LZ5S ~ what do you think?

lmbee59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2007, 8:29 AM   #2

If you want to go with Panasonic, I wouldn't get the LZ5 - it's an older camera. Instead I'd look at the LZ7 (if you want 6x optical zoom), or the cheaper LS75 (if 3x optical zoom is sufficient).
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2007, 1:26 PM   #3

thanks~ did a review of that camera (LZ7)you mentionedon Amazon, and I'm impressed that about 50 out of 77 reviewers gave it 5 stars.

I'll have to check it out at Best Buy.

I need to know a bit more though:

from what I've read, some reviewers suggested using AA NiMH batteries (rechargable) and also use a SD ultra 2 memory card.

I need at least 1-2 GB memory...which memory card would work wellwith the PanasonicLumix DMC-LZ7?

annnnd....does it shoot sepia tones? I'm a big fan of that color LOL

Old Dec 19, 2007, 2:09 PM   #4

I have a Kodak Z885, which really impresses me, even tho it's only a Kodak. You might want to look at it.

SLK
cshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2007, 2:16 PM   #5

The problem with most NiMH rechargeable batteries is that the charge leaks away even when the camera isn't being used, so you're never sure if your camera will be operational when you need it. Recently, rechargeable AA batteries have come out which do not lose the charge. The brand I use is by Sanyo, called Eneloops. Another alternative is to buy AA lithium batteries. They aren't rechargeable but last much longer than regular AA's or NiMH rechargeables.

I don't know much about memory cards, but the most popular cards are from SanDisk, which is what I use. If you look around, you can buy a SanDisk Ultra II 2 gig card for under $30.

The LZ7 has several color modes - vivid, black and white, natural, standard and sepia. The "natural" mode dulls the colors.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 3:50 PM   #6

thanks for your help....I've done research on cameras a few months back and Panasonic seems to be the camera that had everything I wanted. I've been photographing for a very long time with P/S cameras (110 mm and 35 mm), and used to have a SLR camera (Olympus) many years ago. I felt having a digital camera would kick it up a notch, enabling me to get more creative with my photograhy

Old Dec 19, 2007, 9:25 PM   #7

If you really want to be creative, cameras with manual controls will give you the most options. I know you don't like Canon but the A570IS and A720IS have manual controls and can be had for less than $200 online.