Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 20, 2007, 1:51 AM   #1

I have a 7 yr old that I cringe at the thought of buying a camera for, not that she is bad or rough but I can just see it getting dropped or lost within the first month and kissing $100 or more away on a camera.

I wondered what out there anyone here might recommend as a good starter camera that might take a bit of abuse yet still give an ok image (for computer use) even low end 2-3 mexapixel is fine, just thinking budget minded yet rugged.

Was reviewing other threads and saw the Nikon L11 as a possible choice, a bit beyond my price range ($87 at circuitcity plus tax) but might still go that route, just wondered what else is out there that might work for her.

Found this one at circuitcity as well Polaroid a520 for just under $50, will have to read some reviews on it if i can find any beyond cc's site as that might work fine for her taking pictures of her stuffed animals or barbies in their castle hehe.

At walmart today we saw like 4 cameras all under $50 but they all looked like "toys" on plastic formed cardson peg hooks,coby brand and junk, and weren't even with the regular cameras so I didn't even look at those closely just assumed they were all junk.

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated...

Bill

ftlosm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2007, 2:06 AM   #2

well guess i will pass on the under $50 one the reviews i found on google were all of many broken units but still might do that Nikon L11 at $87, unless there is another alternative you guys recommend?

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives...pointment.html

Bill
ftlosm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2007, 8:28 AM   #3

If the goal is to get the child familiar with how to use a digital camera, rather than ensure the child takes the best possible pictures (which makes sense to me), any decent small camera would be sufficient. The Nikon L11 or L10 would be fine for that purpose. I've seen the Kodak C613 for sale at less than $90 and the HP M437 can be bought directly from HP for $69 (that was the case a month ago, I don't know about now).
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2007, 7:32 AM   #4

I didn't look at the prices, but Steve's list of water proof/UnderWater cameras at http://www.steves-digicams.com/cameras_wr.html

You might want to look at construction equipment web sites. I doubt that a six year old will be harder on a camera than the average construction worker.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote