Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 28, 2007, 9:37 PM   #11

You can make the numbers look like anything you want, but the fact remains there are more pentax lenses that work with the digital camera bodies than there are canon lenses, and there are a lot of older autofocus lenses for pentax as well. If your a canon pusher you can make the numbers look any way you want. Just because some dealer and I might add high priced dealers have more cannon lenses doesnt mean they dont have more than one, and if they have a lot more in the used market, just might tell you something.
2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 10:09 PM   #12

2many wrote:
Quote:
You can make the numbers look like anything you want,
OK then. How about you answer my question then. It's not about manipulating numbers. I presented several extremely useful lenses. Lenses by the way many people in the Pentax camp gripe they can't get. It's not about pushing a system it's about facing reality. Every system has their pros and cons.

One of the pros of the pentax system is the old manual focus lenses still work. One of the negatives is there's a serious lack of current autofocus lenses available - either made by pentax or by third party.

But hey, why trust me. Here are some threads in a pentax forum discussing the desire for lenses Pentax cameras lack but other systems have:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=94

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...838068#p838068

But that isn't important. All that is important is whether it has what the OP needs. So in one sense, TCAV is correct - there are more current lenses available for Canon.It's not unlike saying Nikon has a better flash system than Canon does. It's a fairly accepted fact from anyone whose used both systems. It isn't about pushing Nikon. It's just a competitive advantage they hold. Just like certain pentax cameras have in-body stabilization. Like it or not, Canon's competitive advantage is they have a larger offering of lenses - both Canon and third party. Take a look at Sigma's website. How many lenses are offered in canon mount and how many in pentax?

But, the question is whether Pentax offers the lenses the OP needs andwhether the overal package available in the Pentax system is a better fit for his needs- in the end that's what really matters.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 10:10 PM   #13

2many wrote:
Quote:
You can make the numbers look like anything you want, but the fact remains there are more pentax lenses that work with the digital camera bodies than there are canon lenses, and there are a lot of older autofocus lenses for pentax as well. If your a canon pusher you can make the numbers look any way you want. Just because some dealer and I might add high priced dealers have more cannon lenses doesnt mean they dont have more than one, and if they have a lot more in the used market, just might tell you something.
Canon makes more different lenses than Pentax does. All currentSigma, Tamron and Tokina lenses are available for Canon, while only about 2/3 of Sigma's and Tamron's lenses are available for Pentax, and none of Tokina's lenses will fit a Pentax dSLR. Every on-line retailer of used lenses I could find has a larger selection of lenses for Canon than for Pentax.

I'm not pushing Canon. I have a Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D. There is a greater selection of used lenses for my camera than for any other brand, so I'm happy, but the selection of new lenses for my camera is not very good (but it's better than for Pentax.) I have no doubt that this was not always the case, but I beleive it is the case now.

If you can point to data that indicates that Pentax has a greater selection of lenses than Canon, I'm certain we'd all be pleased to see it.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 10:29 PM   #14

I'm not going to argue about the fact that there are some significant holes in the current Pentax lens line-up (there are and telephoto lenses beyond 300mm is one of them). I'm also not going to argue that the top quality used lenses can be hard to find at the moment, or that they've gotten way too expensive, outrageously so, on ebay. But one of the things I always like to point out when someone says "there's ___ more Canon lenses than Pentax lenses" is that Canon often has two different versions of the same lens - one with stabilization and one without. Pentax, Sony and Oly only have one version since they don't need two - the stabilization is in-camera. So each person does need to decide which lenses will be appropriate.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 5:47 AM   #15

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
But one of the things I always like to point out when someone says "there's ___ more Canon lenses than Pentax lenses" is that Canon often has two different versions of the same lens - one with stabilization and one without.
Excellent point. But of the approximately 50 current Canon lenses, only about 10 are "IS" lenses, and many of those don't have non-"IS" equivalents (for instance, the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM,EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM, and the EF 400mm f/4 DO IS USM). And very few of the third party lenses for Canon are available in both stabilized and non-stabilized versions.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 12:01 PM   #16

When I was looking at DSLR cameras, I considered a few points.

If I were to get one it would probably be the Pentax based on build quality and in camera image stabablization.

I have heard the Canon XT and XTi are built cheaply and have a cheap feel to them.

Another point to consider is how many people have more than 2 or three lenses? If you can get the lenses you want then I think the sheer number available is a moot point.
richwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 12:57 AM   #17

It is true about lens selection. We went from door to door and looking for second lens : Pentax for me, Canon for him. Pentax lenses are limited (third party too). We also went to the pawn shops. We mostly found Canon and Nikon (Manual), and no Pentax.
Dolce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 10:24 AM   #18

The smaller 'brick & mortar' stores only stock what they can move. That is, the popular lenses (like a 75-300/4-5.6)and accessories (mostly flashes)for the popular brands (like Canon and Nikon).

The larger 'brick & mortar' stores, and the on-line only stores with low overhead, can afford to stock a greater selection of more obscure lenses and accessories for any brand of camera.

However, I'm surprised that, in Montreal, you had trouble finding lenses for a Pentax dSLR.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 11:41 AM   #19

There's always e-Bay for second hand lenses. If you need to touch and feel and don't mind driving to Ottawa from Montreal, there's the Henry's chain of camera stores. There's one in Ottawa. They also have an e-Bay storefront. Good hunting.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2007, 1:42 AM   #20

I check on ebay on daily basis - well, I'm on internet like +- 8-10h/day. I first knew about Henry's from there. They sell new and used. A reputable store (I guess), coz they give like 90 days warranty for used stuff.

Well, Pentax is not that popular here (Montreal) - I've asked the guys from the stores; they said they sell more Nikon and Canon. One camera store (a chain), never carries Pentax Lenses. Futureshop only stock 2 models.

I just came back from my holiday (Quebec City), it looks like people walking around with Canon and Nikon around the neck, and on tripods to! Me with my Samsung .... they must be wondering what the hell is that.. oh, at one store, I mean a real camera store, a guy didn't know that Samsung has DSLR. So, I was the hero of the day, explaining that it's Pentax, bla bla bla.... LOL
Dolce is offline   Reply With Quote