Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 20, 2007, 5:37 PM   #1

My friend is looking for a camera. I showed him my Samsung GX-1S + a few good photos I took recently. He likes the camera, but he said that the 6MP is good, but not as good as the 8MP Canon XT he saw. So, the question is, does the extra 2MP help the quality of the photos? He's in between Pentax K100D and Canon XT; Canon XT is a little but more expensive. He'd buy the Samsung GX-1S (He'd save over $200), but I bought the last Samsung in town . HAHA...

From what I know (K100D vs XT) ::

K100D + side :: Shake Reduction, 2006 = later tech
K100D - side :: 6MP

XT + side :: 8MP, and it's a Canon
XT - side :: No Anti Shake, 2005 model = older tech

Those are the two things I could tell him. Anything else I should add?

Thanks in advance
Dolce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2007, 9:57 PM   #2

im going to go ahead and say they are pretty equal, and just tell him try to two in his hands and see if they will let him go through the menus to see which one is his "personal preference"
xiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2007, 10:16 PM   #3

As xiggy said, how the camera feels is important. Ergonomics is a big factor in how successful someone will be with a camera.

And the difference between a 6MP image and an 8MP image isn't something that would be obvious to the casual observer.

Another distinction between the two is that the Canon has a much larger selection of lenses.

And just to throw a monkey wrench into the situation, the Canon XTi is a significant improvement to the XT. In addition to having a 10MP image sensor, it also has a much improved autofocus system, especially well suited to sports, action and wildlife shooting. If he decides to go for the Canon, he would be wise to consider spending the extra money for the XTi, if he might have any of those purposes in mind.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2007, 2:02 AM   #4

Will ask him to try them both tomorrow. He does like the grip on the GX. I told him that the K100 is about the same form, but a bit bigger.

Will tell him that XTi is an imporoved XT. But not sure if he wants to spend $100 more on XTi. XTi and XT are the same size and weight I guess?
Old Dec 21, 2007, 8:06 AM   #5

Dolce wrote:
Quote:
XTi and XT are the same size and weight I guess?
Canon's website says 17.1 oz. for the XT, and 18 oz. for the XTi. Dimensions are quite similar.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 12:25 AM   #6

He got himself an XT instead. He went around, comparing... and then saw XT for $399 with 18-55mm kit (Boxing day sale)! For $170 more he could get an XTi, but hesaid an XT will do.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 5:45 PM   #7

TCav wrote:
Quote:
Another distinction between the two is that the Canon has a much larger selection of lenses.
I beg to differ with you on this one, Show me an XT or XTI that can use as many lenses as the Pentax, dont get me wrong I had a pentax and it is one of the few camera's I ever got rid of, but I could use a ton of old film lenses on it, I doubt the xt or xti can use ae1 lenses or anything from a film camera.
2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 6:03 PM   #8

2many wrote:
Quote:
TCav wrote:
Quote:
I beg to differ with you on this one, Show me an XT or XTI that can use as many lenses as the Pentax, dont get me wrong I had a pentax and it is one of the few camera's I ever got rid of, but I could use a ton of old film lenses on it, I doubt the xt or xti can use ae1 lenses or anything from a film camera.
The Rebels are part of the EOS family so they accept all EF and EF-S lens... you can also buy a FD - EF adaptor so you can use FD lens also (all though they will of course be manual focus...)

http://www.amazon.com/Adorama-Canon-.../dp/B00009R7ZR
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 7:04 PM   #9

2many wrote:
Quote:
TCav wrote:
Quote:
It comes down to whether or not you want auto focus or not. And whether or not you want to buy new or hunt for lenses on the used market. So, let's try to re-phrase:

Canon offers a wider selection of new, autofocus lenses. Pentax offers a wider selection of used, manual focus lenses (which isn't necessarily a bad thing just different).

But let's get into specifics. Tell me where I can buy a new (not used) af version comparable to these canon lenses:

50mm 1.8 for $75 (gotta step up to the 1.4 for $190) And canon has a 1.4 and 1.2 as well.

85mm 1.8 for $370. Nope pentax you gotta go with 77mm 1.8 for $675

How 'bout 100mm 2.0?

how 'bout 135mm 2.0?

how 'bout a 70-200 2.8. With canon you can choose from either canon's own 70-200 2.8 or sigm 70-200 2.8. Sigma stopped making the pentax mount and pentax dropped their own version.

Hey, how 'bout 100-400 with USM similar motor and similar pro level?

how 'bout 300mm 2.8

Or how about some Sigm EX series lenses:

70-200 2.8 (already mentioned)

100-300 4.0

120-300 2.8

I'm not saying pentax is bad. Just that you have to be the type of person that likes hunting around on EBAY for used lenses or who doesn't mind manual focus. If that's OK then you can get some great old lenses. But you can't get the selection of newer, pro quality AF lenses you can with Canon or Nikon.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 7:24 PM   #10

2many wrote:
Quote:
TCav wrote:
Quote:
What I said was that the Canon has a much larger selection of lenses.

B&H lists 105 new and 5 used lenses for Canon, but only 57 new and 3 used lenses for Pentax.

KEH lists 318 used Canon lenses, but only 31 used Pentax lenses.

I didn't use Adorama because they list a lot of refurbished and gray market stuff that you can't exclude, but I think I've shown that there is a greater selection of lenses for Canon dSLRsthan for Pentax dSLRs.