Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 26, 2007, 7:17 PM   #1

Hello,

I received a Kodak EasyShare MD853 for my birthday. I've been using the FinePix 5000 for years, but I'm concerned that lately it has been eating batteries like crazy. I have been able to capture so many wonderful pix of my kids with my current camera, but it's a bit bulky to take with me everywhere.

I took some pics with theKodak I received, and maybe I'm being to hard on it, but I think it is grainy. The Fuji has really given me as a novice some great shots, and I'm not sure if the Kodak will do the same. My budget is under $300, but would prefer to spend closer to $175-$250.

I saw the FinePix F31fd rated well on PC World. Is that a nice compact? Any other tips? Maybe my Kodak is going to be just as good as others that are similar? Maybe I should just keep what I have?

I take most of my pictures indoor, and really like to see good flesh tones. Most shots are of my young kids too...they all move fast. I love the zoom to capture a moment, but quality is the best. I think the Fuji does have delay after I push the button, which although is an annoyance, I've been able to get used to. I'd rather not deal with it...but again, good shots finally is the highest priority.

Thanks for feedback anyone has! I do appreciate it.:-)
Kroemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2007, 8:16 PM   #2

The Fuji F31 is supposed to be a great camera for low-light photos, but it's no longer sold (new) in the US. If you can pick it up at a reasonable price, you'll probably like it. In the US, the closest thing to the F31 is the F40fd. Both cameras have the SuperCCD sensor, which Fuji created to give less noisy photos in low-light conditions.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2007, 8:29 PM   #3

Wow...I looked at purchasing a Fuji F31fd because I saw lots of good reviews, and they sounded to focus on what I need in a camera. Who would have known that once I found some for sale, they would be double the 'suggested retail price'! They are going for about $475 on Ebay!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"So, looks like this is a good camera...at least the price demanded looks to make it seem that way. I'm wondering, is the F40 or F50 the same technology...same 'camera', just with more megapixels? Is there a downside to having more megapixels? I don't need to make posters or anything, so if that's the only perk for having more megapixels, no need for me. BUT...if it's essentially the same camera, just the newer version, I wonder why ebay and places like that are demanding that price for the F31fd's, and new F40s and F50s are much less.

How about the 'V' line? I say a V10 refurb for only $129. I guess you get what you pay for? Or is that similar technology?

Thank you so much for your reply!
Kroemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2007, 10:07 PM   #4

Try to get a used S-5200 or an S-9100 Fuji. Both will give you the same results as your excellent 5000. Both will also use the same cards and batteries in your 5000. I had a 5200 for a timeand replaced it with an S-9100 as I needed to be able to use a hot shoe flash for work. I loved my S-5200.Some the best 5MPpictures I have ever seen. I know one person who has an 5000 and they have not reported any issues with it.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote