Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 27, 2007, 1:15 PM   #1

I am looking to purchase an SLR camera and appropriate lens in order to shoot photos of my wifes line of Jewellery. I also hear that a light box might be in order as well. We are going to start up a web site for her line as it is really taking off locally in an exclusive retail store. I am a total amateur therefore I will need a combination that is easy touse, relatively speaking. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
textdetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2007, 8:33 PM   #2

textdetails wrote:
Quote:
I am looking to purchase an SLR camera and appropriate lens in order to shoot photos of my wifes line of Jewellery. I also hear that a light box might be in order as well. We are going to start up a web site for her line as it is really taking off locally in an exclusive retail store. I am a total amateur therefore I will need a combination that is easy touse, relatively speaking. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I know you said SLR... but...

I was pretty impresses with the Canon S5's "Super Macro"... this pictures was simply just goofing around, trying it out:

The S5 has a hot shoe so you could add a flash if you wanted to bounce it for a more studio/artistic lighting effect...

Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 9:45 PM   #3

If you're not into photography and your only use for the photo's in for posting on the web. Then you might not need or want an SLR. Many mid level camera's (often wrongly called P&S) such as the S5 already mentioned have great macro capability. Where as with a SLR you are going to have to spend some money on a good macro lens, and/or extension tubes. You could also use close up diopters on the front of the lens, which is a little cheaper but I personally am not a big fan of these.

As for lighting you will want a light tent. You can buy these or you can make one. Do a google. You might want to use incandescent lighting rather than a flash. This will allow you to see the effect of the lighting before you shoot. And jewelry won't care about the heat. In the camera you choose can adjust white balance than a simple clamp light or two from the hardware store will do. No need to spend big money at the camera store. You can even use florescent bulbs to cut down on the heat.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 11:14 AM   #4

Where and how will the photos of your wife's jewelry be used? How much detail do you need to show prospective customers? How big or small are the items?

dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 3:22 PM   #5

Thanks so much for your very insightful comments. I will give this route a try for certain. Much appreciated.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 3:22 PM   #6

Thanks so much for your very insightful comments. I will give this route a try for certain. Much appreciated.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 3:22 PM   #7

Old Dec 28, 2007, 3:35 PM   #8

We will use the photos on a soon to be built web site featuring my wife's jewellery creations. Her necklaces are generally quite long as compared to conventional pieces, in fact they would probably hang from the person's neck down to as low as the mid chest or waist. There would also be rings and bracelets.

thanks for your time on this.

best regards

Old Dec 28, 2007, 3:35 PM   #9

We will use the photos on a soon to be built web site featuring my wife's jewellery creations. Her necklaces are generally quite long as compared to conventional pieces, in fact they would probably hang from the person's neck down to as low as the mid chest or waist. There would also be rings and bracelets.

best regards

Old Dec 28, 2007, 3:35 PM   #10

best regards