Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 27, 2007, 2:27 PM   #1

Hi, I want to buy a camera to replace my Canon SD1000.

I'm a "point-and-shotter", foto maniac, and i love to take a lot of pictures.

Problem is that most of the times, with my SD1000, when i review them, 30% are "blurred/moved".

I know that is very dificult to find the "perfect (ultra-)compact", because of tech limitations, that is why i'm asking for help trying to find the camera that most matches my requeriments.

So lets list them:

1) First of all, it has to be as compact as possible: I used to have a Canon S1IS and a Sony DSC-H2, both very good cameras, but so big, that i would never carry them.

2) Quality of pictures: the better the pictures in automatic mode, the better. Pre-confirured modes would also help. Manual mode is a plus that i would use probably 1% of the time, unless is very simple/intuitive.

3) Low Light/No Flash: i love to take pictures at any time, and at any light condition, so a camera that can take good pictures in low light is a must.

4) Image Stabilization: because it (should?) help low light pictures.

5) Speed: a camera is no good if it takes forever to take a picture, cause most of the time, that moment would be gone. So, the faster the camera to startup, shutting, etc, the better.

6) 3x minumum: this is almost a standard.

7) Batteries: as most lasting as possible.

The models i have researched are:
Canon SD850IS 8.0MP 4x $250
Canon SD800IS 7.1MP 4x $260
Casio Exilim EX-Z1080 10MP 3x $211
Casio Exilim EX-S880 8.1MP 3x $207
Panasonic TZ3 7.2MP 10x $231
Samsung NV11 10.1MP 5x $265
Samsung NV10 10.1MP 3x $218

About each brand, my first thoughts are:

Panasonic: i love the zoom (10x), but i read it is not very good at low light?

Canon: i don't like that you have to install SW to download pictures, but i love that the camera detects if i'm taking vertical or horizontal pictures (a very nice plus).

Samsung: my sister has a NV10; it looks very nice; it handles very well; pictures quality is very good; i haven't cheked low light pictures, but i will.

Casio: It is not a brand i think for cameras, but i keep reading better reviews on line (Steve Digicams has a very good review of it also).

I would love comments on all models, and how close are to what i want, and would also like to hear of other applicable models, if any.

Thanks, and happy new year.
kwanbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2007, 5:25 PM   #2

From the samples I've seen, I think the Fuji F40fd takes the best low-light pictures.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 6:55 PM   #3

AndyfromVA wrote:
Quote:
From the samples I've seen, I think the Fuji F40fd takes the best low-light pictures.
The problem with the F40fd, is that appears to be very slow (startup, shoot). Can you confirm?
Old Dec 27, 2007, 7:56 PM   #4

The Fuji F40fd is reasonably fast in most performance areas. Not as fast as some, but not bad.

http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.p...2083&ph=21
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 9:50 PM   #5

well, actually you compared it to the other "slow" of the bunch

http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.p...2=78&ph=21

http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.p...2237&ph=21

http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.p...1087&ph=21
Old Dec 27, 2007, 10:43 PM   #6

Regarding your comment about having to download software to download Canon images, that is simply not true. If you have the ability to open two windows and place them side-by-side, you can download images all you want with NO software from any camera.

Plug your camera in and find it in the My Computer window or use a card reader. Once plugged in, it's just another storage device. Double-click to open it up and continue opening folders ( 1 or 2 more layers) and the images will be there. Open up another window with a folder you want them to go and drag them over...no software required.

Realize, no matter the camera you pick in that list of yours, noise indoors in low light with no flash is going to be there. I have played with my girlfriend's Canon SD800is. The camera is fast to use andISO 800 images indoors without flash look suprisingly good on the camera's LCD. The camera works pretty fast, the battery lasts a good long time and images out of the camera are about as good as it gets in a compact.

The more zoom you have, the more versatile the camera isoutdoors, but once you get inside and the light drops, the further you zoom, the slower the lens gets and more magnification you starthaving to deal with. Combine those things and indoor non-flash work is that much harder.

Image stabilization is only helpful if you are talking about static subjects. 1/15 second is slow whether you use image stabilization or not. If your subject is moving, it won't matter whether you have stabilization or not....blur is going to happen.

The Fuji F50 is not the same quality low-light camera as the F30/31 is/was, but it's still at least as good and maybe better than any of these on your list. I would consider it too. Look at a review or two. Higher ISO images still look pretty darn good to me..

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf50fd/

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 9:58 PM   #7

thanks for your recommendation. I would surely consider the camera. That said, have you had first hand experience with it?
Old Dec 29, 2007, 2:00 AM   #8

kwanbis wrote:
Quote:
thanks for your recommendation. I would surely consider the camera. That said, have you had first hand experience with it?
The F50 is a relatively new camera. No, I don't own it, but if you go to the last page of the review I linked, there's a set of sampleimages posted, and you can download the full-sized files and look at them on your own computer and decide.

The compact I amusing these daysis a little unique in terms of sensor ratio, but it does what I like, has all the controls of a DSLR in a point & shoot-sized body, and offers RAW capture, which I use 100% of the time.RAW allows me to shoot as high as ISO 800 and get very useables image files...

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/gallery/3986208#P-1-16

I also do own a TZ3. Outdoors, it is an outstanding camera. I would not want to be stuck with it as my only option for flash work, and it is "OK' indoors if the light levels are decent and you have a steady hand. I have several images taken with that camera here..

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/gallery/2900447#156043664

Right now, I prefer the LX2 because of all the user options and RAW capture, which it sounds like youwould really not interested in.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 5:28 AM   #9

kwanbis wrote:
Quote:
"point-and-shotter...most of the times, with my SD1000, when i review them, 30% are "blurred/moved".
Clearly, your new camera needs to allow sufficient manual control to allow it to be a tiny bit less 'point & shoot', by setting it to 'shutter priority' and a moderately high shutter speed.

I have my little breast-pocket, 'go everywhere' Casio EX-Z750, set like that, because when it's a matter of seizing the opportunity, you need to act fast. If the subject's still there, then take another with more careful settings, e.g, a bigger aperture for greater depth of focus, or even, possibly, the camera's own idea of what's right.

Good luck!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2007, 1:11 AM   #10

I would buy either Canon SD850is or SD870is. Many sites say they are good and user reviews are very positive too.

Lila
Lila is offline   Reply With Quote