Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 29, 2007, 11:26 AM   #1

Hi

my son (HS senior) has saved up and is ready to purchas his own digital camcorder. He is planning on doing video editing with it on our Mac system (iMovie and FCP).

Someone in the Apple FCP forum suggested the Canon HV20, over a JVC hard-disk based camcorder (compression of JVC causes problems and lower res when editing). I've been looking at this Canon model, but note that its really an HD camcorder. Our older mac machine won't process the extra resolution very well, and we don't have an HD TV/monitor in our home. But there is always the future.

So my question is, can this camera easly just record in standard def without wasting media? Or is this overkill?

thanks

'mark
m_ahlenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2007, 12:03 PM   #2

You will get better information on one of the video forums, like Camcorderinfo.com message board but there is a review of the HV20 on that site which quotes:

"The Canon HV20 records both HDV and standard definition DV video to MiniDV tapes, and both formats are now broadly supported by consumer and professional NLEs (non-linear editors) like Apple iMovie and Final Cut Pro, Avid Liquid and DV Express Pro, and Adobe Premiere. Transferring footage to a PC or Mac for editing is done via the included IEEE 1394 (otherwise known as FireWire, and branded as "i.LINK" by Sony) cable, so your PC will need an appropriate adapter. All Macs are IEEE 1394 compatible.

Due to its higher compression rate, working with HDV footage is much more processor-intensive than DV, but any newer computer with at least 512MB of installed RAM (and preferably 1GB) running an HDV-compatible NLE should be able to handle 1080i footage."

I have an AVCHD camcorder and a more powerful PC is required for this than HD video. The Canon HV20 is apparently much better in low light than AVCHD cameras, and if you are happy with tape, it is generally highly recommended.

1eyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 2:42 PM   #3

Hi,

thanks for that reply, I am now waiting (waiting...) for a login account to that camcorder board.

In the mean while, is there any downside to using a camera capable of HD in standard def format? So would the video quality be just as good as if it were just a standard def camera?

I am concerned that our older G4 PowerMacs would have a difficult time (and not enough HD space) for much HD edits.

thanks

m_ahlenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 2:58 PM   #4

Again, I think that you will get better information once you are able to post on the Camcorderinfo.com site and get feedback from users. Personally, I would be surprised if the SD recording was inferior to that of a standard video camcorder but I just don't know. My AVCHD camcorder only records in HD so I knew that I had to be able to edit AVCHD just in order to be able to produce a standard DVD. In time, I aim to use the AVCHD clips to produce HD DVDs, but HD/Blu Ray burner and player prices are prohibitive at the moment. Nero 8 (for PC) works well for AVCHD and is not too demanding on computer capabilities, but I don't know what the Mac options are.Other useful forums are Videohelp.com andSimplydv.co.uk, where you may get more information about Mac software.
1eyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote